I think I might have the wrong rims.

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuartaldridge
MMOC Member: No

I think I might have the wrong rims.

Post by stuartaldridge »

Hi all, noob here from Ontario, Canada. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

My missus bought a MM last year and we just noticed that the wheel bolts and the rims are a very poor fit. It looks like the bolt is only just holding on to the inside of the rim.

ImageIMG_8724 by stuart aldridge, on Flickr

The vehicle is car # 182407, and the only marks I can see on the wheel are the patent marks #456966:

ImageIMG_5373 by stuart aldridge, on Flickr

These are my hubs:

ImageIMG_7143 by stuart aldridge, on Flickr

I was thinking about trying to get different lug bolts (with a wider head) in order to seat better on these rims, but it's proving quite tricky to source anything like that. I'm beginning to think that it might be that the wheels are incorrect for the year vehicle, and it might be easier to get rims with a smaller hole that seats properly.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: I think I might have the wrong rims.

Post by mogbob »

Hi Stuart ,
Happy New Year.
Here is a link to ESM who sell two different type of wheel nut for the earlier cars. Part Numbers SV133 and SV134.
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/wheels ... i-p831451

The nuts shown in the picture look wrong ( and dangerous ) to me. Not being familiar with the earlier cars I don't recognize the brake drum pattern , later cars have a much flatter profile drum . If a rear wheel is shown in the picture are you aware of a back axle swop in the car's history ? If the make of the donor vehicle can be found then you might be able to source a more correct wheel nut.
May be someone on the Forum will recognize it immediately and shed some light on the issue for you.
Bob
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I dunno which cars had lug bolts. Mine has studs and nuts.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Correct original brakes,rims and bolts on your car but the design was awful. Here is the easiest solution. 5/16 UNF HT bolts (3 inch threaded section) cut down and 5/16 Ford wheelnuts. If your car has 5/16 BSF threads instead then you are screwed and need to have cups lathed up to spread the load.
studs8.JPG
studs8.JPG (13.59 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
studs9.JPG
studs9.JPG (10.8 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
studs6.png
studs6.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1669 times
wheelnuts2.png
wheelnuts2.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1669 times
washer-60-deg-60-deg-1.jpg
washer-60-deg-60-deg-1.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

studs4.png
studs4.png (973.54 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
studs2a.png
studs2a.png (980.48 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
wheelnuts1.png
wheelnuts1.png (934.57 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
Standard bolts have heads that are too small, that wear out the wheel and leave the wheel loose. The bigger heads from the Ford or, in one of the pics, an MGA one, will sit better in the wheel and press on more of the wheel to hold it in place. You can see how the original has worn down so much that it pulls right through the wheel so that it bottoms out the thread before it clamps the wheel onto the drum. Very scary!
studs7.png
studs7.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 1664 times
Cardiff, UK