Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Horn bracket

Post by Owlsman »

Hello all - my late '62 Minor 1000 has just 1 horn fitted....but yet has wiring for 2! I've recently bought a second horn to fit, mainly for aesthetic reasons but also to make the car a bit more audible as and when needed. What I lack, however, is a bracket to fit the additional horn to.

The brackets I've seen advertised are basically an 'L' shaped triangle but as you can see from the photo, the bracket on my car is nothing like that. It's a 2 piece jobbie which looks a bit 'over-engineered' to me just to hold the horn to the front plate. It looks original to the car but who knows? I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble of changing it, if it's not.

Someone did tell me that my car should be fitted with a single 'snail' type horn but why would there be wiring for 2? The wiring loom is certainly original, by the way.

Just for cosmetic reasons I would like to fit the additional horn (near-side) to a similar bracket that's already there on the off-side. Basically, any ideas where I could get a matching bracket from?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20190114_142926615.jpg
IMG_20190114_142926615.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1607 times
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Re: Horn bracket

Post by Mark Wilson »

Mine is a later car, but the horn is mounted on an angle with a rubber block to provide flexible mounting. The bracket you show looks very much like a dynamo mounting bracket, eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... SwRQFbvcdA

If it isn't one of these I suspect one could be used!

Mark
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Piece of sheet, an hour in the workshop and you will replicate that no problem. I agree it looks like a dynamo bracket, with a piece of standard horn bracket attached to it.
callyspoy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by callyspoy »

I have the same bracket in my '58, so i don't think it is a dynamo bracket (unless they used the same bracket for both for cost).
I agree with the fabricating though, should be an easy enough piece to make up with a drill and a grinder.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

It is a standard bracket-the same horn mounting bracket as used on the MGA, MG TD and MG TF. They are available in LHS and RHS here but cost £20.38 .
https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/mga-m ... lh-aaa2088
If you are on a tight budget then a DIY job is on the cards as mentioned above. Use your original as a template.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You have the correct bracket fitted to your front panel for a car of that age. However, somebody has then fitted the later type horn and mounting bracket to your original bracket! What you have now is a combination of both types. If you want the car to be correct and original it should have just one horn but of the earlier larger type. These are quite LOUD so you won't need two of them. The wiring for the second horn was always provided on cars of this age and the second horn was an option and was possibly fitted in some export markets.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

While you’re under the bonnet, put that new bolt the right way round!! :D

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

How do you guys know all this stuff? I'm well impressed, seriously.

For the record, I have neither the expertise nor the equipment to fabricate such a bracket so I've ordered one from B & G. I'm not a great fan of 'modifying /updating' classics to within an inch of their original lives but I'm not a stickler for 100% originality either.

Les : Genuinely, when I actually looked at the picture I'd posted, I thought 'why etc, etc...….?' Needless to say, its's already been turned round. Honest guv'nor! :D

Many thanks for your help and info everyone.

Alan