Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngb506
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Speedo not working

Post by youngb506 »

Early this morning I realised that the speedo wasn't working at all. I greased the inner cable ( but not the top coulple of inches) about three years ago following years of the needle jumping around and all was fine. But now nothing. Fine on Friday.

Is a broken cable the most likely problem?
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Speedo not working

Post by Sleeper »

Did you tighten the knurled nut connecting it to the speedo head ?
Three years of vibration would just about unscrew it...

John :wink:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

More likely to be a cable problem than a speedo problem, but I have got one speedo that occasionally stops and a quick tap will get it going again. Happens only after an overnight rest, never when in use. Cables are relatively cheap and easy to change; other than some new ones have a knurled nut that is too large to pass through the bulkhead without filing either the nut or the hole - just another example of poor quality control.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, likely broken or seized cable. You've had it out before to grease it, so pull it out again to examine the inner cable. And yes, check the connections at either end are firm.
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

if your cable turns out to be good and would like to strip down your speedo i have a pdf manual showing what to do. happy to send you a copy just drop me your email address in a PM
youngb506
Minor Friendly

Post by youngb506 »

Undid the sp eedo cable from both ends and I could turn the inner cable with finger pressure although it was exactly spinning. Took the inner cable out which wasn't broken or frayed and greased it. Not much diff erence in terms of how it would turn.

Does the inner cable have to turn very easily with light finger pressure to work the speedo? Noticed that the odometer wasnt working either.

Should I try a new speedo?
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Now you've got the speedo out put a small screwdriver in it and turn/spin it anti-clockwise ,the needle should move , if so the drive in your gearbox needs investigating , if not the speedo needs further investigation....

John
youngb506
Minor Friendly

Post by youngb506 »

Mystery. Thanks for the info about spinning direction of the inner cable. I had the speedo hanging out of the dash, disconnected both ends of the cable, reconnected the speedo end and connected an electric drill to the gearbox end and got the needle moving. All connected up and on the road, I've now got the smoothest speedo arm I ever had in the Minor. Not at all sure what got things going, though.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Likely one of the cable connections wasn't snug. By undoing them and replacing correctly, you have got the cable engaging again at both ends. Let's hope it behaves itself now! :wink:
rogers

Post by rogers »

Try spinning direction of the inner cable.