Adverts

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Adverts

Post by POMMReg »

Does it actually WORK by getting a "Celeb" to endorse a product?

Tommy Walsh & his KWACKING Crocodile Garage Doors, he states..."you know what do I like BEST about them...it's the KWAAFTMANSHIP"

He's PAID to promote the product, hardly going to do it for free...

You see Jessica Ennis promoting the banking industry, Ant'n'Dec with Morrisons...et al
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Adverts

Post by les »

I very much doubt it, hopefully people don't get fooled that easily. Any how I'm a bit pushed for time, going to order one of those quality garage doors, and open a 123 account on the way to Morrisons. Catch you later!

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

GAWD, not you as well!

Used to accuse the Chinese of being brainwashed!

Fill the proll's with Celebs & Football.....AND what else, yes those ALL important..KWACKING garage doors...for the love of god...Zzzzz...
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

GAWD, not you as well!

Used to accuse the Chinese of being brainwashed!

Fill the proll's with Celebs & Football.....AND what else, yes those ALL important..KWACKING garage doors...for the love of god...Zzzzz...
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I am more and more convinced that marketing often works by mixing two things; the first smells and the second i(Supplied by the buyer) is stupidity. Does a certain Mrs Beckham really help to design four wheeled handbags for Range Rover and if she does, why is that a good thing? It may not be a Grand Prix car but I would have thought a more relevant connection would be someone like Ross Brawn.

A local cobbler told me that someone recently paid £300 for a belt (Not in his shop) to hold up his trousers. I asked whether the buckle was gold but apparently no, it was £295 for that which smells and £5 for the belt. He also told me about various "Designer" label shoes; one pair sold for £800+ and had the special feature of red soles....but you would need to do the goosestep or walk like Morecambe & Wise sometimes did, to see it :-? . One pair, not a red sole pair but another designer label pair of high heel boots, had both heels fall off after two or three times worn. There is of course quite a loading on such heels, which is why you need more than a few short screws to hold them in place.

I think in this day and age, with fewer skilled workers, people are less able to assess things for themselves and go by names or looks (Purely subjective). They might be guided by reviews (Whether bought or written by people no wiser than themselves) and in many ways, it's a bit like the tales of the Emperor's New Cloths, with few willing to be the little boy.

Let's face it, politicians are effectively marketing themselves and how many of them would be trust these days?
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I suppose if people are rich enough (and daft enough) it's up to them how they spend their money, Bonkers though.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Shallow people conning shallow people? ——- as long as they’re not spending my money :D

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Question is how many of them are spending their own money; often it's borrowed money and there is still too much debt in the economy. With vanity being the most popular hobby (Whether in the world I know not but certainly in the bit I know), this will only help the debt mountain to snowball and then, suddenly, just like a tailgaiting driver, when the brakes go on, it's a mad panic.

Now that banks are run for spivs by flowcharts, it seems to be the case that if you have lots of debt, a potential new borrower will assume you to be a good risk, rather than over committed. Someone, without debt, is assumed to be a bad risk, who can't get finance, not as someone who doesn't need finance. As an example, despite paying off my credit card, in full each month (It's really just used as a buffer between my bank account and any would be fraudster and to save carrying too much cash around), my bank sent me a text, telling me that they were worried I might struggle to pay off my card and that my limit was immediately being reduced to £500 (Just as well I wasn't abroad and reliant upon it). Given that I had many times the old credit limit on deposit with them, this degree of innumeracy has made me decide that I will close my accounts with them but the question is are any of them any good anymore? As so many are closing branches, I am minded to try the Post Office and put the savings into some kind of NSC.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Blaketon wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:29 am Someone, without debt, is assumed to be a bad risk, who can't get finance, not as someone who doesn't need finance. As an example, despite paying off my credit card, in full each month (It's really just used as a buffer between my bank account and any would be fraudster and to save carrying too much cash around), my bank sent me a text, telling me that they were worried I might struggle to pay off my card and that my limit was immediately being reduced to £500 (Just as well I wasn't abroad and reliant upon it).
I have to opposite issue; although to be fair, I never use a Bank Credit Card. I have 2 'cash back' credit cards which are independent from my bank, an Amex and a MBNA for places that don't take the Amex.
I pay both of them off every month and over the last 10-15 years they have both increased my limit.

I noticed a report this week on breakfast TV about some Celebs being given warnings over their social media endorsements. There's new official guidance issued a couple of days ago : https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -followers
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I agree about the debt issue, you don’t save for anything now, in fact it’s been the case for a while. On a slightly different tack, caught a piece on the tv about people going on holiday taking photos of their boarding pass !!!!!! —-and sending it to someone. Apparently thousands do it! Why? Nowt stranger than folk! The outcome it appears, is fraudsters can intercept and get all manner of personal details from the pass barcode!

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

A number of years ago I was persuaded to join Facebook and when I filled out the necessary, I remember wondering who was interested in me!! Anyway I eventually cancelled, partly due to the fact that the way it was going, I was sure somebody was soon going to post that they were in the toilet; a lot of it was utter trivia. One of the last things I did (Making sure it's timing didn't ruin someone's holiday) was to warn people against posting that they were "Checking in at such and such an airport", en route to a fortnight away, since that told everyone that their house would be empty for two weeks. I understand that Strava has been misused by criminals and people have been burgled when people can see they are out on a fifty mile bicycle ride.

Sorry if this is going off topic but I am aware that criminals are going to classic car shows and attaching magnetic trackers underneath cars, to see where they "Live". Similarly, I have heard of cars being stolen and the satnav set to "Home" and the house burgled (So if you have a satnav, don't list anywhere as "Home"). In the case I am thinking of, the home owners were away at a cycling event, sleeping in a caravan, into which the criminals had introduced laughing gas, before taking the car.

When my passport runs out in 2024, I won't be renewing it and I've only used it for one trip to Classic Le Mans. If I don't check into any airports, between now and 2024, I will never see another boarding pass.....not that I can really remember what one looks like. Never thought of taking a photo of the airport paperwork but I suppose it's all connected to vanity and boasting.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Don't bother with post office account by the way. They don't do them, it's all subcontracted to the bank of Ireland. Tried to set an account up for the local neighbourhood watch, they weren't interested!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I keep seeing Bitcoin ads that con you into thinking you can double your money overnight :roll: .
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Why is there ALWAYS a (non white!) youngster with an afro in adverts, stereotype couples & families all smiling in HUGE kitchens...

I suppose it's all these marketing & PC people - no REAL qualification or skill - just the ability to talk utter boxxocks about nothing.

Off subject a tad, had a job interview recently, the one guy asked me to sell myself to him, WTF!! later asking would I show passion in the role....heavens above, it's a JOB!! Would someone REALLY feel passion for delivering parcels? Rant Over!!
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Yep, incredible amount of mixed race couples depicted in tv adds. Whilst this may be common in London and other major cities, it doe not reflect the target audience surely?
John
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Adverts have always been odd... not "celebrity" related, but who remembers the old Kit-E-Kat cat food advert: "Cat sized pieces of meat". How did they get a piece of meat the size of a cat into a tin that small? Or "nothing acts faster than Anadin", so if you have a headache, take nothing. :-?
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Fairy Liquid transformed, now a tattooed cockney baby, what's THAT all about?!

I DO find it morally wrong Celebs advertising betting sites, is there NOTHING these baskets won't do for filthy lucre, multi-millionaires as it is, how much more money do they need?

As for the Sun Life over 60(?) plan, for heavens sake, why should anyone put money aside for ones' funeral!!

Moan moan moan body number blah blah
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I've just heard that celebrities are to be banned from promoting things like slimming pills.

I observe that lots of marketing works by mixing that which smells, with stupidity. For example, does a certain Mrs Beckham really help to design some of the Range Rover models and if she really does, why is that beneficial? If I were trying to link a celebrity to a product like that, I'd be thinking of someone like Ross Braun. It may not be an F1 car but Ross Braun is at least an engineer, rather than someone out of a pop group. Range Rover's marketing people aren't daft and they clearly realise how suggestible the buying public are these days.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

[quote=POMMReg post_id=634279 time=1549109603 user_id=12209

As for the Sun Life over 60(?) plan, for heavens sake, why should anyone put money aside for ones' funeral!!

Moan moan moan body number blah blah
[/quote]

I've not seen the advert that you refer to but it isn't a bad thing to look ahead a little. A funeral and associated costs can fairly easily come to £5000 nowadays so, as the Boy Scouts used to say........ "Be Prepared" :wink:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Prices vary, £1500 in some cases, if one hasn’t got the money the council will do what’s necessary. You won’t be left in the street.