Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Apolaustic
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Convertible - leaving the hood down

Post by Apolaustic »

Morning Everyone!

We have just acquired a 1966 convertible (last Minor was a 1968 2-door in the 1980s). Please could I have some advice - is it generally better to leave the hood up when not using the car (she'll be in a garage) so as to avoid the risk of any mould and ensure that the hood stays taut and retains its shape - or will leaving it down (in a hood bag) do no harm?

Thank you.
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Convertible - leaving the hood down

Post by mogbob »

Welcome to the Forum.
My advice would be to leave the hood up … for the very sound reasons you specified in your post.
Never fold down the hood for storage , unless you are sure the fabric is bone dry. It is impossible to
fold any collapsible hood without inducing some form of creasing in the bulk fabric and the window material.
The longer it's left folded the more of a " set " is induced in the material.
Don't get totally paranoid about leaving it up. I left my classic car hood folded for a number of weeks last year during the exceptionally hot summer weather. The "folded condition" will reduce the hoods life expectancy for a few years but even that depends on so many other variables.

Bottom line ? I'd leave it in the garage , hood up , windows slightly down so that there is air flow around the
inside of the car.

Keep the questions coming if you've got some work to do on the car and safe motoring in your Moggie.

Bob
Apolaustic
Minor Friendly

Post by Apolaustic »

Thanks Bob - that’s very helpful.
Apolaustic
1966 white/red convertible (1098cc with alternator, electronic ignition & brake servo)
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

I usually leave my canvas hood down for the whole summer but I find that the rear window creases. I usually use a hair dryer on it when the hood comes down but the results are not great and I must look into having it replaced due to creases and scratches. I have had no issues however with the canvas and have been leaving the hood down in summer for the last 10 years. I do cover it in the garage with a breathable cover for dust reasons or if I do leave it outside overnight.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Apolaustic
Minor Friendly

Post by Apolaustic »

Thank you Declan. I’m keen to try to avoid the window crease, and I certainly could do with the practice at lowering/raising the hood 🙂.
Apolaustic
1966 white/red convertible (1098cc with alternator, electronic ignition & brake servo)