Too much play on clutch

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TuckerT
MMOC Member: No

Too much play on clutch

Post by TuckerT »

Help please, the lever, fork, attachment for my clutch seems to have far too much play, the release bearing makes contact with the pressure plate but only just, it seems the slot in the gearbox needs to be further forward, this doesn’t make sense and I can only conclude the fork/ arm to be bent? Or the release bearing too short? Any ideas please. It’s a 1098 with ribbed box and Borg assembly, thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Too much play on clutch

Post by philthehill »

Assuming you have a standard Morris Minor 1000 mechanical clutch release mechanism.

Starting at the clutch pedal there should be 3/4" of travel before the carbon release touches the pressure plate.

Check the intermediate clutch relay shaft chassis bush which has a tendency to disintegrate which leads to poor clutch operation.

Check also the intermediate relay shaft for wear - also check the relay links and operating rod for wear.

See the attached link for further details:-

http://www.gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tec ... arings.htm

A photo of your clutch linkage would be appreciated.

TuckerT

Post by TuckerT »

Thanks for the link, it appears I have the wrong fork fitted, looks like mine should be the one with a slight curve, will post an update after I change the fork over
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The fork you have fitted are there any markings/casting numbers on it?

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

You said it was 1098cc, so the free play should be 1.25 inches, the 3/4 is for a 948.
Clutch.JPG
Clutch.JPG (53.47 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
The clutch fork should not be bent for a completely standard engine, box and clutch; it should be flat. I think that if you read that article carefully, then that will be clear.

Check all the linkage components for wear - the clevis pins can wear through and also enlarge the holes thourgh which they fit. All holes and pins should be perfectly round and smooth.

Has the car always had the problem, did it develop gradually over time or did it suddenly happen? Was any work carried out immediately prior to the problem arising? Most likely a simple adjustment will cure it, but answers to these questions will clarify things.

Note that the adjustable arm is a different length for 948 and 1098, so it is possible that the wrong one has been fitted, but unlikely.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

You can always fit my rose jointed clutch linkage. The last two photos show the extended relay shaft.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Clutch_rose_joint_kit_2.jpg
Clutch_rose_joint_kit_2.jpg (54.76 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Installed_with_extension_1.JPG
Installed_with_extension_1.JPG (299.94 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Installed_with_extension_3.JPG
Installed_with_extension_3.JPG (675.45 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

Regards
Declan