Norton

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Norton

Post by bmcecosse »

Sadly not the motorbike...... Bought a Norton anti-virus one year deal for my dear lady's laptop, installed it and it boldly tells me there is 139 days protection...... All efforts to contact Norton on the matter have failed - the 'on line' virtual assistant is useless and just keeps putting out the same nonsense all the time. So - does anyone have a phone number for Norton where I can actually speak to a real person???
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: Norton

Post by PSL184 »

Seems you have to jump through hoops to get a phone number but available by following this link and filling in form on the "call us" link.....

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton- ... =f-nav-cur
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thanks for coming back to me PSL - I've been through all these hoops many times now, but don't see a 'call us' section?? Can you guide me to it in any way?
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Click the link I sent then look in the middle of the page at the bottom. There is a "CAll US" linky in red. It takes you through to a page where you have to provide your details before they will give you their phone number :roll:

Store
Community
Downloads
Support
Security Center
Products & Services

Support
Norton AntiVirus 2012 Change Product

English

Visit the Norton Forums

The fastest and easiest way to solve your issue
img

Continue to Norton Forums
img
One on one troubleshooting • Instant Answers • Expert Assistance
Live Chat

The fastest and easiest way to solve your issue
img

Chat Now
img
Email

Solutions delivered to your inbox

Estimated delivery: 24 hours
Email Us
Phone

Phone support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Estimated wait time: 6 minutes
Call Us
[sig]8426[/sig]

win
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by win »

Well that looks straight forward. NOT
South Yorkshire
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Many thanks again for coming back to me - I eventually found my way to a 'chat' section where I was stuck for over 2 hours until I eventually encouraged Norton to give me a new Product key which has solved the problem. It took some perseverance, and Norton didn't give up easily.......
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Result :lol:
[sig]8426[/sig]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I had to demand to be passed to the 'Supervisor' - probably the same person, how would I know - and then I insisted on being passed to Customer Services. Was told they would call me within 48 hours - I insisted they call right away, and at that point the phone rang - all the way from Canada I believe! Without any further messing about they gave me a new Key, and cancelled the old one. :roll: Thanks again for coming to my aid! :D
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

kaspersky works well..
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

If running a recent version of windows, Microsoft Security Essentials teamed with the built in firewall is pretty much the best allround bet these days.
Still, congratulations for getting some sense out of Norton. :lol:
What would Macgyver do..?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes thanks - I am using the Microsoft Essentials on one machine - with some trepidation - does it really work ok ? If so - does this not put all the others out of business???
ImageImage
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

I am using the Microsoft Essentials on one machine - with some trepidation - does it really work ok ? If so - does this not put all the others out of business???
Yes x 2 :lol:
Although to be fair, the other big boys will always be fine. Norton and McAfee seem to be pedalling their stuff through OEMs now. I could go into an essay on av and security products but suffice to say, Security Essentials plus Windows Firewall plus common sense is fine for home use.
Malware Bytes Anti Malware (MBAM) is worth an occasional run too, belt and braces and all that.
What would Macgyver do..?
micstersmoggy
Minor Friendly

Post by micstersmoggy »

not surprised so many people have problems with Norton i used it in the earlier days and it acted like a virus itself. had to down load a tool to eliminate it, shocking software, no wonder its always half price they would have to pay me to use it.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Norton is only surviving by paying to get pre installed on new laptops and PCs as far as I can tell.
It has had a terrible reputation as nagware and being a resource hog for a very long time.
Microsoft security essentials seems to do a reasonable job, it's early days yet.
If I won the lottery and was going to pay for anti-virus software, I'd get Kaspersky but I don't buy lottery tickets and manage with AVG and a very cynical attitude to emails that arrive in my inbox.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Pikey
Minor Fan

Post by Pikey »

I cant recommend, microsoft essentials enough, its free and updated almost daily, and is supported by windows, so theres not problems with incompatibility etc.

I used to have kaspersky on the laptop, but it didnt tell me I had a virus. I had unknowingly picked up a virus and a particularly nasty one that gave someone all my bank details the next time I visited my on-line banking account (Im guessing that how the git got them). After the fraud, I checked the laptop and hey presto a nasty one lived on it, called "whosonkaysweb".

My IT expert in work managed to remove the virus, and removed the kaspersky and installed Microsoft essentials.

My dad also used to have kaspersky on his laptop as well, but his laptop recently crashed shortly after a windows update and the IT people put it down to the kaspersky not "getting on" with the new windows update apparently. Hes also got the windows essentials.

Cheers

S

beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

I have Microsoft Essentials running for the last few months and it seems very good.

Jackoblara

Post by Jackoblara »

MarkyB wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:30 pm Norton is only surviving by paying to get pre installed on new laptops and PCs as far as I can tell.
It has had a terrible reputation as nagware and being a resource hog for a very long time.
Microsoft security essentials seems to do a reasonable job, it's early days yet.
If I won the lottery and was going to pay for anti-virus software, I'd get Kaspersky but I don't buy lottery tickets and manage with AVG and a very cynical attitude to emails that arrive in my inbox.
Lucky you :lol:
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Avast works for me.
Good to see BMC popping up from time to time!

Alan
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

This thread is getting on for 8 years old, unfortunately bmc won’t be popping up any more. :cry:

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Yes, I remember the sad occasion but it's nice to remember him.

Alan