Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alawrence10360
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Telescopic Dampers

Post by alawrence10360 »

The upper mount on my damper kit appears to ha 3 different upper mounting positions
Has anyone any experience of this kit from ESM
Im thinking the closer to the vertical the better
This car used to have a lowering kit
Attachments
20190321_193550.jpg
20190321_193550.jpg (4.21 MiB) Viewed 1145 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Telescopic Dampers

Post by philthehill »

Several schools of thought as regards vertical/sloping dampers.

Sloping inwards at the top helps side location of the axle

Sloping inwards at the top helps reduce body roll.

Sloping inwards at the top - same as the Minor commercial.

Vertical restricts up and down movement of the axle.

Vertical helps reduce axle tramp.

There are several other proposals/suggestions but the above is enough to go on.

So long as the damper body does not foul the top mounting bracket the choice of top setting/mounting hole is up to you.

Road testing with the dampers in the various positions may make up your mind.

Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

I seem to remember the differing holes were for use when the vehicle was at standard ride height or lowered.
alawrence10360
Minor Fan

Post by alawrence10360 »

I think i will leave well alone if its not an obvious cock a doodle diddley up
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The ride height will have no bearing on the angle of the damper unless the actual spring has been re-set to give a lower ride.

With a standard set spring - if spacers are used between the spring and the axle the only measurement that changes is the height of the axle centre above the spring top leaf all other measurements remain the same.

Changing the angle of the damper does effect the damping characteristics of the damper. The more offset from vertical the effect on the damper is to soften the damping.

I suspect that the inner hole and relieving of the cross member is required for the top fitting of the coil over dampers (as per link below) as the coil overs have a larger top circumference to be accommodated.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear-s ... fo-p831356

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

My Traveller has one of those additional cross members fitted, so I can only assume that at some point in the past it had a set of telescopic dampers fitted. But they were not there when I bought it, the standard lever type were fitted.
When I replaced these worn out lever dampers I decided to go for a set of the 25% uprated lever type and they seem to work fine.

I am sure I read somewhere that the cross member is not just a simple bolt on goodie as most people seem to assume, and that the extreme ends of it should be welded to the chassis rails.
Mine has not been welded, and that was the reason I decided to stick with lever dampers.

Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Phil
You are right about the welding.
It should be welded at both ends to the body.
Phil

Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

If the vehicle is lowered and the bump stop sawn off shorter, it will allow you reduce the stroke applied to the damper, by leaning it over a bit.

Sorry, I wasn't clear before.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

My understanding of that crossmember design is that for the right hand side, the top damper mount uses the left hand hole as you have it, and vice-versa for the left hand side of the car - do not know what the 3rd set of holes are for! We have Koni telescopic dampers, and they would need the cut-out clearance that is to the right of your picture.

You could certainly try moving the damper top outwards, but first make sure that the top of the damper does not foul the x-mbr as it is rotated and the damper itself has plenty of stroke length available, as it will need to close to a shorter length as the top mounting moves outwards.

Phil has outlined the various roles that a damper can play, and they are certainly expected to do all of those and more! However, there is a well-held belief that they should be as vertical as possible to maximise their role as a 'damper'. Having said that the Koni's of the rear of our Minor are at a similar angle to yours and they work very well as dampers!

The rear x-mbr is attached with 4 x 12mm bolts, with 50mm x 5mm thk washers on the inside of the boot to spread the load well. With a bolt at each end, I did not see a need to weld, and after almost 19 years, the x-mbr is still where I put it! (it has been taken off just once 2 years ago).
Richard