Front Swivals and Stub Axle

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Front Swivals and Stub Axle

Post by AlanDRussell »

I have a 1951 4 Door MM with a Chassis number SMM 107847. I recently purchased 2 reconditioned swivel Pins complete with Trunnions.
The stub axle and the threaded end are larger then the ones fitted and have a part number as follows 127904 S . Please can you advise if these are for an earlier model and would it be possible to press out the stub axle and change the part over.
Alan.

Alan D Russell
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front Swivals and Stub Axle

Post by philthehill »

Your original swivels - do they have rubber bushes fitted to the damper arm pivot pin or screwed threads to the damper arm pivot pin?

See Morris Minor wksp man section K4 for more details.

The Minor stub axle can be pressed out of the swivel but be careful that the stub axle does not pick up and get scored when doing so.

When the stub axles are removed compare the dimensions and if they are the same they can be changed over.

When pressing them back in do it from the inner face of the swivel and press home till the circlip is fully against the swivel.

The old screwed top links had a tendency to rattle and the top links were changed to rubber bush to alleviate the problem. Again see section K4 for details.

Highly unlikely but I will ask anyway - have you purchased a pair of Marina/Ital swivels as the stub axle and bottom trunnion are larger than the Minor items? The Marina/Ital top swivel is a ball joint and is completely unlike the Minor top swivel.

A photo of the original set up and the replacement swivel/trunnions would be appreciated.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Early stubs have a smaller hole in the leg, hence are not interchangeable with Morris 100 ones(well, at least on mine).

As Phil says, a photo will resolve everything.

Rob
Cardiff, UK
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Ive attached a pic of my MM swivel pins when stripped off for refurb. As Rob says they only have one steering arm hole and the stub axle is thinner.

There is an article on the Series MM website about converting later swivel pins for use on MMs, this involves some machining.

http://seriesmm.mmoc.org.uk/
Attachments
2018-05-02 20.48.13.jpg
2018-05-02 20.48.13.jpg (4.93 MiB) Viewed 3149 times

Too many Minors so little time.....
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I modified my early '51 MM in the nineties and put complete Minor 1000 uprights on and everything fitted. I had to machine the stub axles to take the MM bearings and drums,that's all. I changed everything back to original ( engine, gearbox and rear axle in about 2003 and all is well.
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

Post by AlanDRussell »

Thank you all for your kind replies, having check previous postings I note that a Major change took place from car number 126725 Jan 1952 a larger stub axle thread size castle nut 1" AF prior to that the size as of my vehicle is 7/16 whit.
The problem I have is that the stub axle is slightly larger.
Alan

Alan D Russell
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

Post by AlanDRussell »

Thank you all for your kind replies, having check previous postings I note that a Major change took place from car number 126725 Jan 1952 a larger stub axle thread size castle nut 1" AF prior to that the size as of my vehicle is 7/16 whit.
Alan

Alan D Russell
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

Post by AlanDRussell »

Alan

Alan D Russell
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

Post by AlanDRussell »

Alan

Alan D Russell
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

In the absence of a photo to confirm it seems you have bog-standard Morris 1000 legs and nothing will fit without fairly major machining.

How were the legs 'reconditioned', Alan?
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

When I replaced my Minor 1000 stub axles with Marina/Ital stub axles I discovered that the Minor stub axles were surfaced hardened.
Reducing the diameter of the Minor 1000 stub axles to suit the early MM wheel bearings etc means cutting under the surface hardening which then reduces the strength of the stub axle.
I would suggest that any machining or radial grinding (which would be my preference) of the Minor 1000 stub axle is done professionally following the profile of the early MM stub axle (except where the Minor 1000 stub axle fits into the Minor 1000 leg) with no sharp corners and the stub axle is then surface hardened.

As Rob points out - the task can only be completed with comprehensive machining whether the route taken is hub or stub axle modification - or if lucky - NOS original legs can be obtained.

AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

Post by AlanDRussell »

Thanks again for your kind comments.
I now enclose I hope photos of the swivel pin note the larger stub and thread.
Alan.

Alan D Russell[[img][/
IMG_20190404_130939.jpg
1554379781105.jpg
1554379729643.jpg
img]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

No photos visible, Alan
Cardiff, UK
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

Post by AlanDRussell »

Front swival and stub axle.
Alan.
Attachments
IMG_20190404_130939.jpg
IMG_20190404_130939.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 2889 times
AlanDRussell
Minor Friendly

Post by AlanDRussell »

RobThomas wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:21 pm No photos visible, Alan
Photo of Swival and steering arm now online and enclosed. Kind regards.

Alan

Alan D Russell