Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Ignition

Post by kevin s »

Our car (std 1098) is currently runninģ points but for reliability (Particularly when my non mechamical family are driving it) I want to fit an electronic ignition.

It seems I could fit a accuspark system but some people seem to have issues with these failing, my other thought is to fit a A+ electronic distributor which I assume will give OEM reliability, has anyone else done this?, does it fit?, any issues ?.

Kevin
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ignition

Post by les »

I’ve heard it said, to carry a spare set of points if electronics ignition is fitted. That tells you something!
A good set of points, condenser and rotor, would be my thoughts but each to his/her own! I dont know anything about the electronic distributor you mention.

Canada64
Minor Friendly

Post by Canada64 »

I chose Petronix electronic ignition. I used this brand for many years in my Spitfire without a miss. In the Morris (1098) I saw an immediate improvement in cold weather starting and running. It was good before and excellent for the last couple of months. Now the temperature is rising the performance iis steady and so far totally reliable. Hope all works well for you in whatever selection you make.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

We also switched to the Petronix system in our Traveller a couple of years ago and have had no problems so far. Fuel economy has improved since then and it does seem to run smoother. Speak to Martin at Distributor Doctor (www.distributordoctor.com) and see what he has to say. If nothing else he will be able to supply reliable components for your current points systems.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

When you say that "for reliability" you're going to fit electronic ignition, do you mean that you've found the original set-up to be unreliable?
In almost half a century of Morris Minor driving I have never had a problem with the points. It is just a matter of purchasing good quality parts and spending a few minutes once a year giving them a service! Surely that sort of thing is part and parcel of running a classic car? Understanding the basics of how it works is important - and then, if you ARE unlucky enough to be stranded at the roadside you will be able to fix it :) . If you fit electronic ignition and that goes wrong, then you will not.

To me, the joy of owning a Morris Minor is that it HASN'T got any electronics to go wrong!
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

I had Accuspark in my traveller and also Series III Land-Rover. The lady has stood for over a year and started on the button. My traveller was my every day car for five years plus and I had absolutely no ignition problems (or anything else for that matter!) ever. Always started on the button and never let me down or hiccoughed even in mid winter and thunderstorms. I just carried the original dizzy in the boot just in case but I wouldn't hesitate to fit another Accuspark unit.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Anything can fail at any time I suppose but, from periodic posts on this discussion board, I doubt electronic ignition is any more reliable than points, if anything, less so. Why, only recently, someone on here had had his points replaced by some fancy electronic gizmo and the story ended with him having the points system re-installed before the car would run again.
I am with 'Many Minors' on this - if you use a good set of points, a good rotor and a good condensor (I suggest Distributor Doctor for these) and service the dizzy as required, then you will have a super-reliable set-up, which you can maintain for decades without issue. My car is running like a dream on points - why would I change that?
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Point are fine, so long as they are maintained and not poor quality. After fitting a new cam and de coking the head of my Midget, I fitted new points but it wouldn't start. I then discovered a fault with the new points (Imported junk), so cleaned the old ones up and bingo. I have since bought in supplies of OEM quality parts from http://www.distributordoctor.com/. My Traveller has been in points all the time and never missed a beat, aside from a couple of duff coils (One said "Lucas" on the side).

I have experience of an Aldon set of electronic points on the V8 (Fitted in 1999). The standard system ate points quickly (Opening and closing twice as often) and it was an easier option than a twin rotor distributor. My mother's 1.8 MGB has an Aldon system and an Aldon coil, as the car had been suffering from unreliable ignition parts. Since having the Aldon parts (2011???) it's been fine.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I had a cable in an Accuspark unit wear away as the plate inside rotated, short, and burn out a section of the loom while my partner was driving. Lots of smoke in the cabin apparently.

These days I use the original dizzy that the Dizzy Doctor refurbished for me and it's been flawless.

Just an experience. :)
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I had a powerspark unit for 18 months but suddenly had the same symptoms as a condenser going so I fitted distributor doctor condenser and points. Its been ok ever since.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Thanks for the replies.

It is currently running points, my intention to replace with electronic is based on my experience.

I remember as a kid my dad regularly cleaning and setting points on his ford classic, the series 2 Landrover I had for years broke down in the snow with burnt points and often needed them cleaning.

On the other hand my elan has a lumentaion set up which has worked fine for 24 years (but these are not made by the original UK manufacturer now), the TR7V8 and range rover have never been a problem on the rover electronic set up either.

I think I am heading towards a A+ based set up at the moment so I can use OEM parts.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I recently sold my Sparkrite set up as no longer needed,it was perfect for the job and built to last , clipped onto the coil and with a 3 position switch..Normal points ignition ,Electronic Ignition and Off ( security) ,also had a built in timing light..
If you can find a good old one , go for it..

John :wink:
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Due to 3 failures on 2 cars with Accuspark I have now reverted back to points and condenser again, as Manyminors says the points and condenser set up system has lasted for so long. I reverted to electronic ignition thinking that I would have better reliability even though I had no issues before. I guess I was unlucky but with 3 times failure Im not taking a chance again and I service my Minors before time due to low mileage.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I have driven my Traveller for 40 years on points. The only time I have had a problem was when I fitted a new set of points and failed to tighten them up properly. On a test drive the points slipped and the car stopped. I quickly found the problem but had no feeler gauges so I guessed the gap. The car started and has run fine ever since. I had considered electronic ignition but felt the cost too high and there would be little chance of fixing a failure at the side of the road.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

kevin s wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 pm Our car (std 1098) is currently runninģ points but for reliability (Particularly when my non mechamical family are driving it) I want to fit an electronic ignition.

It seems I could fit a accuspark system but some people seem to have issues with these failing, my other thought is to fit a A+ electronic distributor which I assume will give OEM reliability, has anyone else done this?, does it fit?, any issues ?.

Kevin
Are you not getting a little confused Kevin? I have 2 A+ engines and although they use the "ballast " system,AFAIK they are not electronic?
John
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

I don't know of any electronic A or A+ OE distributor.
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Didn't some Metro's use electrickery dizzy's?
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Not to my knowledge, perhaps the MG Metro Turbo? But never seen one except when I was sat on my uncle's lap driving on the beach way back in the 80s...

Clearly the Rover Metro did, but that was a different engine, as I am sure you know :)
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Yes it was the turbo I was thinking of - I seem to recall seeing an engine for sale a while ago but maybe it wasn't the original dizzy.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I have seen electronic distributors for late minis this is what I was thinking of, i know the clamp and drive are different, clamp would be easy enough to sort out not sure if the drive can be swapped over though.