Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

'63 wiper stuck mid-way

Post by RobThomas »

Wipers are not my area of expertise so I thought I'd ask on here.

Occasionally if I shut the wiper off part-way through the sweep it will halt and then fail to start again until manually tweaked down. I expected that an incorrectly adjusted park position sensor would not have disabled the whole thing. Am I right? Might it be a dead spot in the wiper motor segments?

Ta

Rob
Cardiff, UK
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: '63 wiper stuck mid-way

Post by Sleeper »

Without looking at the actual circuit diagram , I'd guess the park circuit failing,can't remember if it's a permanent battery or earth that drives it home..

John :wink:
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: '63 wiper stuck mid-way

Post by mogbob »

Rob
On the Lucas DR3A wiper motor the most likely issue is the parking segment , under the " dome " as you suggested.

The dome can be released by undoing the four screws / bolts. Disconnect Battery first and then note the
existing position for reassembly.
The brass strip / segment inside tarnishes ,gets dirty / greasy as does the pip on the contact finger. I'd run a strip of sand paper under this , in situ , to save dismantling ( unless you want to do a full strip down) A word of WARNING the assembly is not robust so exercise caution. The bull in a china shop approach will only end in tears !

Without unsoldering the wire , the dome cannot be separated from the cover plate , so you will have to work under the bonnet rather than taking it to the bench. Use fine sand paper to get back to shiny metal again. Blow out the dust and muck. A quick spray with some Meths / carb cleaner and wipe dry with a paper towel.

Replace the dome back it the exact position you noted earlier. Re connect the battery .You can lift the wiper arms off the windscreen to check all is well first. If it looks OK , wet the screen and test with the wipers on the screen.
There is the outside chance of a wiring fault but I think you'd have other symptoms presenting themselves.
Gently does it.
Bob