Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

King pin replacement

Post by Murrayminor »

I have purchased a set of King pin to replace the upper and lower king pins on my '65 2 door.
I have never worked with king pins on a morris minor before so I have a couple of questions
Will replacing the kingpins have an effect on the camber and castor on the front wheels?
Secondly if I measure the threads would I simply be able to replace the kingpins using the same measurements to restore the castor?
Or have I got it completely wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: King pin replacement

Post by philthehill »

There are no king pins on a Morris Minor just steering swivels and upper and lower trunnions.

Replacing like for like will not effect caster or camber as both are set by the method of fixing the suspension to the body.

Make a note of how the top and bottom trunnions are fixed to and sit on the swivel. Screw the trunnions fully onto the swivels and back off sufficient to allow the swivel to rotate in the trunnions without jamming at full lock either way.

The lower threads of the swivel are waisted to allow the bottom trunnion fulcrum pin to pass through the trunnion and past the swivel via the waisting. Make sure that the bottom trunnion fulcrum pin does not foul the swivel threads with the fulcrum pin inserted when rotated at full lock either way.

Cover the swivel threads with general purpose grease before assembly making sure that the swivel to trunnion seals are in good condition.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I agree with what Phil says. Be aware that there are very high spring loads on the rosrion bars and it is essential to release tension in a controlled manner. The procedure is well documented in the various manuals that are easily available, and to avoid potential injury you should be familiar with the procedure before starting the work.

As you will have new components all round, I recommend that you purchase high quality seals for both the trunnion to swivel and also the end seals. These are available from Declan Burns via a PM and are far superior to the seals provided with the kits. Declan's seals fit better and last much longer.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Thanks for the replies
I did of course mean Trunnion's and not King Pins.
I now have a manual for the Minor so I will have a proper read through before I go to work.
Your help is invaluable.
Regards
Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by King Kenny »

Replacing the trunnions was the first mechanical job I did to my Traveller in 1979. The front wheel collapsed after a driving lesson. It is not a difficult job, just follow the manual. Keep them well greased and they will last for decades.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.