Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
flod
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Torsion Bar replacement

Post by flod »

Hi I was at a show recently and asked members of the Stoke branch a question regarding my lopsided car.
It was diagnosed at having a bent end to the torsion bar.
I am not very mechanical minded so have found a local garage in West Midlands I am in Lichfield to have a look at. They have given me a price of £350 to replace both torsion bars and that's with me supplying the parts.
After being underneath the car and them going through what needs to be done it seems a bit over the top.
Does anyone know if this sounds right?
Does anyone know of anywhere in the Staffs West Mids area that is classic friendly?
Does anyone out there want to earn a few quid to carry the job out themselves?

Meant thanks in advance Flod
flod
Minor Friendly

Re: Torsion Bar replacement

Post by flod »

Bloody predictive text

Many thanks
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

For labour charges it sounds about right but I'd question why both sides need replacing. I've never seen a bent bar even after I had a 60mph head-on crash with a truck. I'd love to know how on earth the bar got bent without ripping the entire shell apart in the process.
Got a photo?
Cardiff, UK
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

That cost implies approx 4-5 hours labour to me at ~£60 p/hour + VAT. It could take that long if every bolt is rusted and needs cutting off an replacing, but I doubt it. I'd also suspect that the car just needs the ride height adjusted on one side rather than a complete replacement of both torsion bars. Then even if one is damaged, why replace both?!

I'd be happy to do it in exchange for tea but am a bit far away, perhaps ask your local register? :)
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the two torsion bars do indeed need replacing (and I also doubt it) and you are supplying the parts S/H they must be fitted to the same side as they were taken off the donor vehicle. Torsion bars get set and used to being turned/loaded one way - fitted to the wrong side there is a good chance they will fracture with loss of suspension as they do not like being turned/loaded the other way.

As above - photos would be very helpful in making/giving any constructive advice.

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I am dubious about the diagnosis.
Even if the torsion bar is bent, how would this make the car lop-sided?
Does anyone have some thoughts on this?
I feel that the OP needs to have further expert investigation before taking any action.
Don
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

Has any work been done on that side of the car that involved dismantling the suspension? It could simply be that the torsion bar on that side needs resetting.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It's worth reading the original post: The diagnosis was provided by the Stoke branch, not a garage. The garage was approached to carry out the repair work. Normally I would suggest joining the local branch and seeking expert advice, but in this case, that advice has already been given.

I question the garage suggesting changing both torsion bars. Like others, I suspect that one side needs an overhaul (new bushes and pins?) and most of all adjustment. We definitely need some photos of the car generally and the suspension on the low side in detail.

A lopsided car can also be caused by a faulty rear spring, usually on the opposite corner. Worst case is a collapsing crossmember or chassis leg, but I'm sure that would have been spotted.

Flod - can you neasure the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch in the wing? The normall method is to extend your fingers and with your palm vertical, see how many fingers will fit in the gap. This provides a good indication of how equal or not the two sides are. When setting the suspension there are more accurate measurements to make, but this is a simple guide. Please post the results along wih the photos.
flod
Minor Friendly

Post by flod »

The difference in height is 3cm with 18cm on drivers side and 15cm on passenger side which has the problem. I was advised by a member to change both sides as I was going to try and put new on.
Attachments
155756797315791083856.jpg
155756797315791083856.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2215 times
flod
Minor Friendly

Post by flod »

Sorry the measurement was taken from top of wheel to bottom of wing
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Well that definitely looks bent :o Can you post a picture of the other side of that area as well, please, where the torsion bar and adjuster plate are; plus a slightly wider shot too.

Have you got a source for new torsion bars? I've seen only secondhand ones available.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Wow! Have you been doing stunts in the Morris? Jumped over other cars? Quite a bend!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I doubt you’ll get away with that area of the crossmember, I suspect the hole had been well distorted. A picture of the torsion bar in place would be interesting, to see the extent of the bend ( the other side of the nut)

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The problem with that end of the torsion bar is the poor location of the stepped washer.
For more positive location ditch the horseshoe washer and replace with a stepped washer as per the rear washer.
The stepped washers produced these days do not have a good right angle step and I find that they have to be recut in the lathe.
If not a right angle step it is easy for a single washer to slip out of the cross member which results in additional forces on the pin at the rear of the torsion bar which can result in the pin bending.
Having the crossmember gripped between the two stepped washers improves the situation considerably.
It looks too late for the cross member shown and the torsion bar should be stripped out and the cross member fully examined before any further decisions are made.
Is the horseshoe washer still in place?

Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

Could it be a marina bar with an adapter in it that has come adrift?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Kinda looks like the floor isn't welded to the crossmember...or is it just me?
Cardiff, UK
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

The welding and the chassis all look a bit odd to me too. I would like to see some more pictures of the crossmember.
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

It looks like a botched repair to the crossmember end.
flod
Minor Friendly

Post by flod »

Not sorted any new torsion bars was hoping that someone might have known where to get them from.
1557685400605631650692.jpg
1557685400605631650692.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 2036 times
15576849668911515256113.jpg
15576849668911515256113.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 2036 times
attachment]

Many thanks for the feedback even if it's not sounding like good news
Attachments
15576853406141396577157.jpg
15576853406141396577157.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 2036 times
flod
Minor Friendly

Post by flod »

Not sorted any new torsion bars was hoping that someone might have known where to get them from.
1557685400605631650692.jpg[/[attachment=1]15576853406141396577157.jpg
15576849668911515256113.jpg
attachment]

Many thanks for the feedback even if it's not sounding like good news