Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
martin418
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

master cylinder fault

Post by martin418 »

hi i am sure its my master cylinder failing but i thought i would run it by the forum 1955 s2 fitted 8'' front brake otherwise std , 100 % perfect brakes last 4 years but last week left front started binding slightly i changed the brake hose but no luck now after bleeding both the fronts are binding unless i open a bleed nipple or leave it for about 1/2 an hour , rears seem ok the master cylinder has free play ,very good pedal pressure and bleeds out fine but i presume the return valve is the likely culprit , age of master unknown wheel cyls etc all fine
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: master cylinder fault

Post by Murrayminor »

I have just read another thread where the owner was contemplating using a repair kit but has been talked out of it due to failing seals.
As the MS is located in a pig of a location if you have to change it you only want to be doing it once.
I cannot comment on your particular problem but having had my MS out twice I would definitely put a new one in if you need to and avoid the rebuild kits.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

yes it will only be a good new one
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by paul 300358 »

Are you sure that the wheel cylinders are operating freely?
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

yes it definitely the master holding them on i just loosened the feed pipe to the front t union let the pressure go and the wheels spin free press pedal once and they are staying on , the piston in master returns fully and pedal has correct free play so i guess its the return valve