Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

faded indicator lens

Post by cococola »

Just wonder if there is a way of refreshing the front indicator lenses on my Morris Minor as they are faded due to age.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: faded indicator lens

Post by Sleeper »

You can , or at least used to be able to buy , amber clear tint to re-"paint" the bulbs or lenses..

John :wink:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Just buy and fit amber bulbs which are available from 'e' bay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-343-Ambe ... Swi7RZHCds

mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Sometimes you can improve on the light output from your existing set up by cleaning the plastic lenses.

I've used a stiff brush / old tooth brush and CIF ( or any household cleaner , there other brands available !) or toothpaste I've heard of people using as a mild abrasive.
Worth a go , even if you eventually decide to replace the bulbs.
Bob
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Just cure the source of the problem and buy new lenses!! For goodness sakes they're not expensive in the scheme of things and by the time you've spent ages fiddling about you'll never get them to look right anyway! You have to be prepared to spend a tiny bit of money occasionally to keep these old vehicles going. So many members just don't want to spend a penny and yet the cost of keeping these on the road is positively peanuts compared to modern stuff.

I bet this will excite a few outraged remarks!
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Biggles1957 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:46 am Just cure the source of the problem and buy new lenses!! For goodness sakes they're not expensive in the scheme of things and by the time you've spent ages fiddling about you'll never get them to look right anyway! You have to be prepared to spend a tiny bit of money occasionally to keep these old vehicles going. So many members just don't want to spend a penny and yet the cost of keeping these on the road is positively peanuts compared to modern stuff.

I agree absolutely with Biggles. I suspect that unwillingness to spend is one of the reasons the quality of MM spares is so poor.

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Biggles1957 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:46 am Just cure the source of the problem and buy new lenses!! For goodness sakes they're not expensive in the scheme of things and by the time you've spent ages fiddling about you'll never get them to look right anyway! You have to be prepared to spend a tiny bit of money occasionally to keep these old vehicles going. So many members just don't want to spend a penny and yet the cost of keeping these on the road is positively peanuts compared to modern stuff.

I thoroughly agree.
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

mogbob wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:41 pm Sometimes you can improve on the light output from your existing set up by cleaning the plastic lenses.

I've used a stiff brush / old tooth brush and CIF ( or any household cleaner , there other brands available !) or toothpaste I've heard of people using as a mild abrasive.
Worth a go , even if you eventually decide to replace the bulbs.
Bob
Many thanks for your help Bob, I took the lenses off and toothbrush cleaned with cif and they are like new.
No point in replacing them when it is a case of cleaning with the right product, which was my original question. :roll:
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Well you actually said they were faded - in which case any amount of cleaning isn't going to make them turn orange again! If you'd have said they were dirty then it's obvious that a good clean would do something....

Glad you're happy with them now though :D