Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Eric990j
MMOC Member: Yes

No power sometime, but ticks over just fine

Post by Eric990j »

Hi all,

My Minor 1098 1968 model is playing up. She starts perfectly, revs fine with power pulling out of the garage, but if I leave it ticking over for 5 minutes then jump in to drive away, it can’t rev and has no power at all, but it will still tick over. I thought fuel starvation with the hot weather were having but it ran fine the week before and then the week before that it did it again!

I left it ticking over and removed the float cover to see if there was no fuel, the bowl was 3/4 full and the needle and float seemed to work as it should, so fuel or electric?..

Any advice what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Eric990j

No power sometime, but ticks over just fine

Post by Eric990j »

Hi all,

My Minor 1098 1968 model is playing up. She starts perfectly, revs fine with power pulling out of the garage, but if I leave it ticking over for 5 minutes then jump in to drive away, it can’t rev and has no power at all, but it will still tick over. I thought fuel starvation with the hot weather were having but it ran fine the week before and then the week before that it did it again!

I left it ticking over and removed the float cover to see if there was no fuel, the bowl was 3/4 full and the needle and float seemed to work as it should, so fuel or electric?..

Any advice what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: No power sometime, but ticks over just fine

Post by dalebrignall »

how is the oil leval in the carb
[sig]5641[/sig]
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Dean »

I had this problem with old fuel. old fuel glazes the plugs up, if you clean the plugs all is fine for about five minutes, then the power goes and it starts to run like a bag of nails. Clean the plugs again and all is fine.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Eric990j

Post by Eric990j »

Hi, fuel was the problem I hope as all is well now. I took the carb off and found jelly type stuff in the bottom of the float bowl. A quick strip and clean with a carburettor cleaner and she is running superbly. Just need to try her in hot weather, just in case. Many thanks for your suggestions.