Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
welshrat
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Austin Pick up 1972

Post by welshrat »

Hi all, I recently purchased a 1972 Austin pick up from a friend of mine, its only taken 25 years plus to talk him into letting it go so delighted to have it and looking forward to restoring it.
Looking for any information on production dates and to clear up some details with chassis number, the information I have is that late pick up production chassis numbers were A-AUC-238597 TO A-AUC-327396, mine is A-AVC322291 which my book relates to the van. Also registration date is 10/1/72, am I correct in thinking last production was Dec 1971 and therefore registered in 1972?
Sorry if this has been done before, just point me in the direction of the post if so.
Regards,

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Austin Pick up 1972

Post by les »

My pickup is 1971 (Austin) and falls into the latter area of the chassis numbers you list. Looks like you’re Pickup started as a van then, I’m not sure of the precise date production stopped but vehicles are often registered at a later date. Good luck with the restoration, I bought my pickup when it was 12 years old and enjoyed the restoration, I now have a van, so I’ll soon need to make some decisions.

welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Hi Les, thank you for the encouragement. It is registered as a pick up and I know of the two previous owners, the first bought it new as a pick up so wondering if there were some oddities going on with chassis numbers towards the end of production. It is a K reg.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Not unusual to have V prefix on pickups, weights more important, put it down to many more van vin plates available during production.

Can do the spare wheel bkt captive nuts check, if threads painted = genuine pick up.

Pea green BL chassis plate?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Hi POMMReg, thank you for the response, what did you mean by weights more important? Only reference I can find to on the log book is 746.1 KG unladen. Also not sure what is meant by Pea green chassis plate.
Regards, john.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

welshrat wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:45 pm Hi POMMReg, thank you for the response, what did you mean by weights more important? Only reference I can find to on the log book is 746.1 KG unladen. Also not sure what is meant by Pea green chassis plate.
Regards, john.
It's an Austin 6cwt pick up.

The pea green, wishy washy blue coloured thing is the chassis plate that should be affixed to the n/s cab door card.
This has the model/VIN nos/engine type/axle weights & GVW details.

I have this chassis entry as a Monmouthshire registered VAN(?) assembled Oct/Nov 1971.

Production ceased early February 1972.

Hope this helps...prob. doesn't😭
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

That does help, thank you. The pick up was bought by Woodside Garage in Usk, Monmouthshire.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

welshrat wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:01 pm That does help, thank you. The pick up was bought by Woodside Garage in Usk, Monmouthshire.
Would you please be kind enough to pm the cab & engine nos.?

Thanks
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Hi, sorry to say the original engine is long gone and the number is not recorded on the log book, where would I find the cab number? Looks as if the chassis plate from the door card is also gone, however I do have several boxes of stuff to sift through. If it turns up will be happy to provide details.
John.