Currently drinking.....

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Blaketon
Minor Legend
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 11:09 am
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Blaketon » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:11 am

I have previously detailed some "Real ale" preferences (Why call beer real ale; why not call what sometimes now passes for beer after the waste product of a nat?) but it has to be said that a well made pot of tea takes some beating. I am still an exponent of the tea strainer.

A few weeks ago I went to https://www.thewoodmanparkend.co.uk/ and following the usual excellent meal and a pint, with my desert, I decided on tea and I enjoyed it as much as I had enjoyed the pint. Yesterday, I took my father for a spin in the Midget and we went to https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... Wales.html . Again the tea there is an enjoyable as anything. Their Victoria sponge and scones are also top notch.

les
Minor Maniac
Posts: 7320
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:00 am
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby les » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:46 am

Milk in first? :D


Blaketon
Minor Legend
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 11:09 am
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Blaketon » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Yes but I'm sure my maternal grandparents used to put the milk in afterwards....I sometimes do if I make a mistake. Milk in first seems to mix better (Like the anti ethanol stuff in the petrol).

Myrtles Man
Minor Addict
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Myrtles Man » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Blaketon wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:15 pm
Milk in first seems to mix better...
Or did, until some genius invented the teaspoon. 8)

les
Minor Maniac
Posts: 7320
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:00 am
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby les » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:04 pm

——- than was just to dissolve the sugar!


Nickol
Minor Addict
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:40 pm
MMOC Member: No

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Nickol » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:40 am

the taste of tea is ruined by the Addition of milk and is positively horrible with sugar as well.

but it is what you are used to, I suppose.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]

Blaketon
Minor Legend
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 11:09 am
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Blaketon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:22 am

Nickol wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:40 am
the taste of tea is ruined by the Addition of milk and is positively horrible with sugar as well.

but it is what you are used to, I suppose.
Milk (Not too much) and one sugar for me :D . My great grandparents liked strong tea; it's a wonder there was enough room for the water in the pot :o . Still they lived to almost 88 and 96 respectively and that was when many were lucky to see their early 70s. I read something recently, which claimed that tea was good for the heart and for teeth. Never heard that before!!

Taste is very much personal and acquired. It's like colour choice; it's only personal whim (Yet these days, people seem to buy things for what they look like, perhaps because they don't understand the product in any deeper sense). I recall someone who liked salt and vinegar with icecream and I've been told that icecream is served with many things, that we would find very odd, in the USA.

philthehill
Minor Maniac
Posts: 6809
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:05 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby philthehill » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:02 pm

Recently discovered Peppermint tea which is made from the leaves of the peppermint plant and now drink it (without milk and sugar) in preference to ordinary tea. I gave up sugar some time ago.

Milk in tea reminds me of going to an aged aunts of mine many years ago and the milk was always on the turn and would float on top of the tea in great globules. I hated every drop but was made to drink it as we could not upset the aged aunt - ugh. :cry:


Myrtles Man
Minor Addict
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Myrtles Man » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Ah yes, but did the sacrifice prove worthwhile on the reading of the will? :wink:

philthehill
Minor Maniac
Posts: 6809
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:05 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby philthehill » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Will I never. :D


SteveClem
Minor Legend
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:37 am
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby SteveClem » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 pm

Does anyone remember drinking Camp ‘coffee’?
Like a syrup with coffee and chicory. Truly foul. My grandfather loved it and insisted that his grandchildren drank it.
We used to pour it into his flowerpots when he was looking the other way :wink:

Chappers
Minor Friendly
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:57 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Chappers » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:47 pm

Yes Camp coffee “essence” with a hint of chicory I believe.
Not good stuff hot
But in cold milk over ice, it makes a long iced coffee, refreshing on a summers day.
Oh dear, I think I’ve gone all continental😳

Myrtles Man
Minor Addict
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Myrtles Man » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:22 pm

The original Camp Coffee label (changed subsequently in the light of PC concerns over colonialisation attitudes, I believe) was an interesting example of a picture repeating itself, theoretically, into infinity. The label showed a Sikh holding a tray on which was a Camp Coffee bottle, on the label of which was a Sikh holding a tray on which was a Camp Coffee bottle, on the label of which... etc etc etc.

Blaketon
Minor Legend
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 11:09 am
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Blaketon » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:10 am

SteveClem wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 pm
Does anyone remember drinking Camp ‘coffee’?
Like a syrup with coffee and chicory. Truly foul. My grandfather loved it and insisted that his grandchildren drank it.
We used to pour it into his flowerpots when he was looking the other way :wink:
Did it make the flowers grow?

Myrtles Man
Minor Addict
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby Myrtles Man » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Blaketon wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:10 am
SteveClem wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 pm
Does anyone remember drinking Camp ‘coffee’?
Like a syrup with coffee and chicory. Truly foul. My grandfather loved it and insisted that his grandchildren drank it.
We used to pour it into his flowerpots when he was looking the other way :wink:
Did it make the flowers grow?
Probably not, but I bet it made them jittery and a bit hyper! :D

ampwhu
Minor Addict
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:51 pm
MMOC Member: No

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby ampwhu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:34 pm

currently recovering from an operation, so can't drive or drink! I like real ale and my favourite is London Pride.

for the record, I like strong tea, with minimal milk and 1/2 spoon of sugar. :D

ndevans
Minor Addict
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:56 am
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby ndevans » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:48 pm

Blaketon wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:11 am
I have previously detailed some "Real ale" preferences (Why call beer real ale; why not call what sometimes now passes for beer after the waste product of a nat?) but it has to be said that a well made pot of tea takes some beating. I am still an exponent of the tea strainer.

A few weeks ago I went to https://www.thewoodmanparkend.co.uk/ and following the usual excellent meal and a pint, with my desert, I decided on tea and I enjoyed it as much as I had enjoyed the pint. Yesterday, I took my father for a spin in the Midget and we went to https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... Wales.html . Again the tea there is an enjoyable as anything. Their Victoria sponge and scones are also top notch.
I'm with you on the tea strainer, you get a better cup if you use leaves in a pot. Milk in last for me though.
I remember Camp Coffee as well, also the milk that came in tubes like toothpaste. Can you still get them both?
Mum and dad used to take camp coffee and the milk in tubes, along with a cup water boiler, on holiday. This was in the days before every hotel had a kettle etc.
Peppermint tea is nice, as is green tea, redbush is ok and so is Earl Grey/ Lady Grey. Does anyone actually like Lapsang Souchong?
cheers N
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.

JHarley
Minor Fan
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby JHarley » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 pm

Currently drinking, Tea, Diet Coke, Pepsi Max, Apple Juice and Fresh Orange Juice.
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK

philthehill
Minor Maniac
Posts: 6809
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:05 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby philthehill » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 am

Not all in the same glass and at the same time !!!!! :D


myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Currently drinking.....

Postby myoldjalopy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:49 am

Well....possibly Phil, though you can't be sure it isn't some kind of weird cocktail :D
Some people have 'unusual' tastes - why only the other day I heard of a friend of a friend who likes to eat their pasty with a spoon..........in a bowl of milk :o
I kid you not!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests