Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: long distance driving

Post by Murrayminor »

liammonty wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 pm I've done no end of long journeys in each of my six Minors over the years - probably the longest in a short period was 1,300 miles in 2 days (Warwickshire to the Massif Central in France and back). At the time I was unphased (the folly of youth, perhaps?), but now realise I must have been mad to undertake a journey longer than the trip to the shops in a totally standard car!!!! I will be reassessing any future long journeys, as you've got me all worried now :lol:

On a serious note, I'm in agreement with ManyMinors on this - a well-maintained standard car is more than adequate to cover long distances. It just won't be as quiet or comfortable as in a more modern car - but that's part of the charm, right?
That's exactly why I want to use my minor, I have access to two modern cars that would easily cover the mileage and back, be comfortable and one of them would make it almost half way on a tankful of diesel.
I want to firstly take my Minor for a nice drive, secondly I want to live a little so I thought My Minor would help me live a little.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

I admire your spirit, and I’m sure you WILL enjoy it, regardless of how you modify the car in advance. The key is to make sure it’s well serviced. I would carry out any servicing a little while before you head off, too, just in case any problems are introduced!!
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

this is something I would like to do!

I did drive my A30 from Surrey to Dundee a few years ago. I had a couple of fuel problems but that was it. that was with a standard car (948 engine) and it ate the miles up. over 4 days, I did 1500 miles.

i'd like to take the MM and the Austin down to the south of France for a trip and do some camping down there. A couple of friends have shown interest. This may be possible next year if it goes to plan.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I have the majority of my plan in my head but its going to go something like this.
Manchester-Hull -Rotterdam via overnight ferry
Head north from Rotterdam into Denmark then northbound all the way up the west coast of Norway taking in the famous "Trollstigen road" amongst others.
The trip will end at Nordkapp some weeks later.
The beauty of my plan is I will have retired from my current job and will have some free time before I start work again so the timing is very good.
For the return trip I was planning on returning via the east coast of Sweden back to Copenhagen.
All in all a round trip of approximately 5000 miles.
Sounds easy when said quickly.

My 1965 2 door "Gracie" is currently sat in may garage totally unaware of what is going to happen to it next year.
So initially I plan to strip it down get it loaded on a spit and make sure the shell is firstly rust free and secondly ensure it is strong so I may weld in some strengthening gussets but I will decide that in due course, I wouldn't like to make the shell too rigid and cause stress fractures.

I will then strip and rebuild the 1098 engine (well my mate will be doing this as he knows the engines better) I intend to stick with the original engine size as I feel putting a bigger engine in would take the heart out of "Gracie".

The wish is for the cruising speed to be somewhere around the 56-60mph mark, just enough to keep out of the way of HGV's on the Motorways, but its my intention to use A roads and the European equivalent so the speed will be lower.

The gearbox will receive a new clutch and change of oil along with the rear axle, I will put uprated halfshafts in just in case but I feel the remainder of the standard running gear will suffice as I wont be flat out at any time.

The radiator will be looked at and a decision will be made as to upgrade the core or simply flush the standard one.

Whilst the car is apart I will install a new wiring loom, its a fairly simple system but the original is nearly 55 years old so it would be foolish not to.

On that subject I'm still undecided regarding the dynamo v alternator, I will be running a couple of 12v sockets to power modern life items such as a mobile phone/sat nav, I wont have a radio fitted as I never listen to the radio in cars unless my wife is present (not that I don't want to talk to her, she just likes music while we drive) and as I will be travelling alone in "Gracie" a radio is not on my list, I have a Bluetooth speaker that I use when camping which will also need to be charged, so the more I write the more I feel the need for an alternator....Any hints here?

I may reroute the fuel and brake lines just to avoid any mishaps.

For safety I will be changing the seats and installing seat belts, I have not decided on seats as yet, but they will more than likely be Ford Ka items along with inertia belts.(while the shell is on the spit I will weld in some seat belt plates if possible.

I will retain the standard fuel tank and maybe purchase some extra fuel cans once on European soil as a precaution, but as mentioned above a 200 mile range is probably enough for the car at any time and a stop for fuel will allow me to keep an eye on her.

The standard wheels "may" be replaced by slightly wider tyres given the extra weight but again that has yet to be decided, I will source a couple of spare wheels.

The car will have new dampers/torsion bars (used but good) and rear springs, I may alter the castor to assist straight line stability.

I will be carrying tools and camping gear along with clothing (As a male this will be limited to a few quick dry outfits as I don't plan on attending any black tie events whilst on the road.

With regard to carrying all the equipment/tools etc would people suggest removal of the rear seats to allow the placing of tools etc (securely strapped down) to aid weight distribution or place the lighter items on a roof rack? Thoughts?

Lighting will be standard with the exception of a high level brake light and maybe hazard warning lights.

I think that list is enough to keep me busy for a few months so if you can assist with any answers or wish to come get your hands dirty or simply have a coffee and keep me company then let me know.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

You didn't mention any upgrades to the brakes, have you considered a front end conversion to discs ?

Phil
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

pgp001 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 am You didn't mention any upgrades to the brakes, have you considered a front end conversion to discs ?

Phil
No I was planning on keeping the all round drum set up, mainly as I wanted to keep most things standard hence reliable, I have recently replaced all the braking components so its all new and should suffice, but now the more I think of those long descents the more discs may be useful...more food for thought, you may be right though.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Good luck in doing all that work by next year, that sort of stuff took me many years.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

les wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:44 am Good luck in doing all that work by next year, that sort of stuff took me many years.
I have spent the last few months working around the house getting it up to scratch so my better half is happy.
I now have a job where I start at 6am and finish at 2pm so that will give me at least 4 hours a day, plus weekends to get the car up to scratch.
The car will be ready for next year, a few shakedown runs and the big run will take place early in 2021 that gives me quite a long time to get her ready.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

While driving wise original may be fine if I was driving that far I would want some safety improvements because of the way others drive, i would have a high back seat, 3 point seat belts and led tail / stop lamps, possibly even a centre stop lamp on the parcel shelf as well.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Having done quite a few 400 mile or more trips including a couple into the thousands I would recommend paying attention to the following.

- Minimise wind noise through refurbishment of door and window seals.
- Don't put up with a noisy gearbox.
- Don't put up with a noisy diff.
- Carry spares for un-bodgables - brake master cylinder replacement or seals, brake pipe repair kit, a flexi.
- Don't put up with a noisy (leaky) exhaust. Carry a patch kit.
- Nail the carb tuning, a little rich or lean can make a big difference to noise.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Never go anywhere without duct tape and a pair of good mole grips :wink:
johngrigg
Minor Friendly

Post by johngrigg »

And WD40 .....
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

kevin s wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:01 pm While driving wise original may be fine if I was driving that far I would want some safety improvements because of the way others drive, i would have a high back seat, 3 point seat belts and led tail / stop lamps, possibly even a centre stop lamp on the parcel shelf as well.
Thos items are already on my list of things to do, thanks. :D
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Monty-4 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:25 am Having done quite a few 400 mile or more trips including a couple into the thousands I would recommend paying attention to the following.

- Minimise wind noise through refurbishment of door and window seals.
- Don't put up with a noisy gearbox.
- Don't put up with a noisy diff.
- Carry spares for un-bodgables - brake master cylinder replacement or seals, brake pipe repair kit, a flexi.
- Don't put up with a noisy (leaky) exhaust. Carry a patch kit.
- Nail the carb tuning, a little rich or lean can make a big difference to noise.
Yes minor creature comforts soon add up to a better overall experience.
I have done a couple of national road rallies on my motorcycle so I'm aware of how a comfortable machine can make life so much easier.
On the carb front I was planning on leaving the standard carb but then something said the HIF38 could be used on the minor, is there an advantage with the HIF38 over the standard SU?
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

johngrigg wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:53 am And WD40 .....
I usually carry WD40 or similar depending on what's on offer at the motor factors when I'm there.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Murrayminor wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:53 pm On the carb front I was planning on leaving the standard carb but then something said the HIF38 could be used on the minor, is there an advantage with the HIF38 over the standard SU?
Only if other upgrades are made to make the cylinder head flow better as that is the main bottleneck. Not much, if anything, is to be gained through just a carb swap. It will also get you started down that rather slippery slope and before you know it you've changed the carb, head, exhaust, cam, then the brakes to suit and redone the suspension while you're under there.

Funnily enough it also lightens your wallet so all good for the power to weight ratio!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Start and finish with the premise - keep it simple.
Modifications and alterations to the standard set up are more difficult to fix out on the road especially if you are miles from anywhere.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 am Start and finish with the premise - keep it simple.
Modifications and alterations to the standard set up are more difficult to fix out on the road especially if you are miles from anywhere.
I fully agree with your comments, I was just testing the water.
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Hi,

Once I have purchased my Minor I plan to take it to
France, Belgium etc. To see the WW1 and WW2 battlefields, it should be quite a good trip, good luck with your trip as well, this will be my first classic car so it will be a learning experience :)

Regards,
Joe
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

The proud owner of Alan, a 1966 Trafalgar Blue Traveller.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

The strip down has begun, the interior has been secreted in the spare back bedroom and amazingly my wife has not batted an eyelid.
The fuel tank has been drained and removed
I have labelled all the wiring and the harness is ready to be removed once the across dash terminals have been identified.
The front panel is off and the engine is hopefully going to be pulled out tonight.
On the tie plates I was happy to see a couple of drilled holes covered with wax tape, it looks as though "Gracie" was looked after in a pervious life, I'm hoping the holes were for Waxyol shame the last owner didn't feel like removing rust instead of plating it over.

On the rust front the tie plates have some minor issues but overall they are sound.

The floor has the aforementioned plating and the rear arches have some rust but not as much as I was thinking.

I have yet to open the sills to see in there but I'm quite pleased with the lack of rampaging rust, there is rust, just not as much I was dreading.

I will find some storage for the outer panels before I remove them as they seem to be new steel front wings along with rust free bonnet and boot.

What I did discover was the rear bumper is glassfibre which I hadn't noticed before, it was only discovered while removing the tank.

I think it has been a while since the engine was treated to decent oil (I changed it when it came to me) as when I opened the rocker cover it was very sticky in there.
I did notice one of the tappet adjusting screws was broken one side of the screw was sheared off, amazingly I found the broken piece sitting on the head nice and peaceful :D
I removed the loose piece and popped the rocker cover back on to await an engine rebuild.

Once the engine is out I will concentrate on the rear axle then I should be in a position to mount the shell on the rotisserie and get stuck into some bodywork, which is scaring the hell out of me but I'm determined to keep her on the road.