Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

What Distributor for 1275

Post by andy.pointeer »

Need assistance in confirming the distributor I have on my 1275 Marina/ITAL engine (see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63790)

The engine has been removed from the 4 Door and is now in my traveller, but having trouble getting it running. The engine did stand for a while while we were converting the 4 door in to an auto.

The engine will run ok when stationary, until we try to drive it and the power available is very erratic. Some times it just will not pull and other times it backfires. Changing the timing and mixture without success. So need to confirm I have purchased the correct distributor.
All the Marina manuals I have indicate a 45D with a ‘C’ type clamp with pinch bolt. I have just got two ITAL manuals and they also indicate 45D with a ‘C’ type clamp with pinch bolt. But I have a ‘Y’ type clamp with one bolt into the block as per picture below and in second picture in link above.
Distributor - 1.jpg
Distributor - 1.jpg (596.84 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
Philthehill also has picture in above link showing the type I have.

On checking I could not find a 45D with a ‘Y’ clamp.
I assumed this was a 59D with ‘Y’ type clamp with one bolt. The ITAL 1275 is listed in the compatible engines for an electronic ignition I have purchased.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-59D-A-S ... 2749.l2649 see page 6 for ITAL

I would like to eliminate the distributor, so any help and guidance would be appreciated
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: What Distributor for 1275

Post by philthehill »

The post below has been edited with revised information.

You will also need Austin Morris (factory) Repair Operation Manual Supplement ITAL 1980 onwards Pt No: AKM4580/1.

This is to be used with Marina Repair Operation Manual AKM4580

The correct factory fitted distributer for the 1275cc Ital High Compression 12V 'A' Plus engine is Lucas 45D4 or Ducellier.

Serial No: Lucas 41864. Ducellier Ser No: 525294

The dwell angle is 57 degrees plus or minus 5 degrees.

Ignition timing is set useing a strobe - with the engine running at 1500 rpm the advance should be 11 degrees B.T.D.C.

The 'A' Plus engine distributer is secured with the 'Y' clamp and one bolt as per your picture above.

The spare 'A' Plus 1275cc distributer I have and which was removed from a 1275cc 'A' Plus is a Lucas is a 59D4 which is secured by the 'Y' clamp and one bolt and yet I can find no reference to the 59D4 distributer in the factory manuals I have.
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

Thanks for the info Phil

I have the following manuals
Repair Operation Manual Marina to 1976 - AKD7555 (8th edition)
Repair Operation Manual Marina, 440/575 Van;575 Pickup 1978 onwards - ITAL 1980 onwards - AKM4580 (2nd edition)
I also have Haynes Manuals
Morris Marina 1.3 & 1300 - 1971 to 1980 - 1098cc - 1275cc(073)
Morris ITAL 1.3 - 1980 to 1984 - All Models - 1275 cc

Looks like I need to find the supplement AKM4580/1 to have full info on engine

You indicate I should be able to get a 45D4 with Y clamp. As above I cannot find any photo/diagram with Y clamp and that was why the original post was raised. I will have to check to see if distributor I have has the correct software that matches the 45D4
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Having had a closer look at the fitments - the 45D4 with the clamp has only one fixing bolt to the block. It appears that the clamp is bolted to the block using the same hole as used the 'Y' Clamp.
If I am correct that means the 45D4 and 59D4 distributers are interchangeable using the correct securing clamp.
The 45D4 may have had problems with the securing clamp and the body re-worked to the 59D4 spec with improved 'Y' clamp.
Both distributer may have the same advance and timing characteristics.
I do find it strange that there is no reference in the factory manuals I have and I am not aware of any later manuals other than those I have. But there again British Leyland had got to the point of being on its last legs and may have considered it not worth while to re-print the manual. There may have been a supplement issued but I am not aware of one containing details and specifics for the latest type distributer.
The Haynes Marina/Ital may refer to the later distributer but unfortunately I gave away my copy when I obtained the factory manuals.
To rectify that I have just purchased the Haynes Ital 1980 - 1984 repair manual and an additional factory Manual with various BL supplements.
If I find out more I will post on here.
The serial number of the 59D4 distributer is 41864 A 59D4 - with an additional number 4880 by the direction of rotation arrow.
On a similar vein - I have been unable to find details in the factory manuals regarding the change over from lever to tele dampers on the front. There does appear to be a void relating to specifications and repair details for the last Ital's 1982 - 1984.

Phil

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

Thanks for update Phil

Did not give Haynes manual number for ITAL above, its 705.

I have done some more checks and in Chapter 4 it does indicate one bolt in distributor removal, but does not show the clamp type.

In Chapter 1 picture 9.1 showing distributor and you can just see the 'Y' clamp and one bolt. Other pictures in this chapter show one bolt hole.

Still need to check 59D I have is the same software as 45D
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is a link to a Lucas 45D4 distributer fitted with the single bolt clamp suitable for the 1275cc 'A' Plus engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerspark-4 ... SwPLtc3Tn1

The part number for the single bolt 'A' Plus 'Y' clamp is 613857A.

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

Been informed by Tony from Accuspark that 59D should be OK

Thanks again Phil for all the info etc
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

As the distributor had been indicate correct. and the mixture seamed to change without any adjustment. I purchased a service kit for the HIF44 carb and cleaned and replaced jets, 'O' rings etc etc

Re-set the timing as per the ITAL manual

The car is now running OK, so can now take to Flitwick Classic Car Show on Sunday

Thanks again Phil for your assistance
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch