trafficators sticking.

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
millie2013
MMOC Member: No

trafficators sticking.

Post by millie2013 »

Hi guys. You were very helpful before, so hope you can help once again. My car is a 1958 2 door Morris Minor 1000. One of my trafficators wont go back down when I cancel. I suspect A bit of oil on the moving parts might solve this problem, but as I'm not very mechanically minded, I thought I'd seek advice before doing anything. Thanking you in anticipation. :D
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: trafficators sticking.

Post by SteveClem »

Trafficators are pretty easy to remove,clean and lubricate. It’s probably just accumulated muck and oil that’s built up over the years. Once you’ve got them cleaned up it’s best to go light on the oil. I just used a drop or two of sewing machine oil and they’ve been trouble free for years.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Can I also suggest you check the orange lens for damage. I had a sticky trafficator a couple of years back. Turned out the thin end of the lens was cracked and had become slightly misaligned where it slotted into the pivot end of the chrome cover. Some insulating tape wrapped around it was a temporary fix until I could get a new lens delivered.
1956 4-door called Max
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, take it out, clean and lubricate. There is probably years of road dirt, dust and dried oil on the working parts.
When you are doing this with the trafficator out of the car, always open the trafficator by pulling the plunger rod down - if you try to just pull the lens part up/out you can damage the mechanism. The rod may need a bit of fine emery paper or wire wool to clean it so that its surface is smooth. And a drop of light oil on the hinge part once its clean (as per the manual). Then you can test it with a battery and some wire before re-fitting.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Be careful when refitting and in my limited experience, as best as you can, try to get it nearer the front of the slot than the rear.
I base this on using the trafficators at 'reasonable' speeds will result in the wind pushing it towards the rear, thus increasing the chance of it catching on the rear edge.
Probably wasn't an issue when they were new, but most trafficators are probably a bit worn these days.
I had a problem recently where Offside would stick on the way out, but when free of the car worked perfectly. It was just catching on the bodywork very slightly.
Basil the 1955 series II

millie2013

Post by millie2013 »

Thanks for the replies, seems I was right after all, just lack a bit of confidence and don't like to tamper in case i make things worse.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

A nice little local garage would sort it for you,and it really shouldn’t cost much. An hour or two at the most. But it’s fun to have a go yourself and if it goes pear shaped the garage will still sort it.
Daura58
Minor Friendly

Post by Daura58 »

millie2013 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:52 pm Hi guys. You were very helpful before, so hope you can help once again. My car is a 1958 2 door Morris Minor 1000. One of my trafficators wont go back down when I cancel. I suspect A bit of oil on the moving parts might solve this problem, but as I'm not very mechanically minded, I thought I'd seek advice before doing anything. Thanking you in anticipation. :D
Is it difficult to replace the lenses?! Where is the best place to buy replacement lenses? My trafficators stick and its very annoying!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

No, the lenses are vey easy to replace - just turn the trafficator on, hold up the trafficator so you can switch off the ignition again and then remove the screw at the end of the chromed arm, loosen the screw which clamps the lens near the hinge part and the lens can then be pulled out.
New lenses are available from the usual suppliers......
Daura58
Minor Friendly

Post by Daura58 »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 pm No, the lenses are vey easy to replace - just turn the trafficator on, hold up the trafficator so you can switch off the ignition again and then remove the screw at the end of the chromed arm, loosen the screw which clamps the lens near the hinge part and the lens can then be pulled out.
New lenses are available from the usual suppliers......
Amazing!! Thank you, super helpful! Have just purchased new lenses...wish me luck!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

This is pretty much all you need to know....
N29-30.JPG
N29-30.JPG (129.56 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 pm New lenses are available from the usual suppliers......
I've never found decent quality original lenses without searching a bit further afield. "The usual suppliers" will sell you cheap and nasty reproduction ones that don't fit very well in my experience :(
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Oh dear.....not more sub-standard parts! Tho' I have to say that the lenses I bought several years ago now were fine - perhaps quality has deteriorated since then?
And 'geobernie's' illustration shows what I forgot to mention - that once the end 'securing screw' is removed, you need to unhook the 'securing tongue' to remove the metal 'arm cover' to get to the 'arm clamping screw'. Anyhow, its all pretty straighforward :)
TravellerTodd
Minor Friendly

Post by TravellerTodd »

Hi all - just a further observation that may assist someone else.

I upgraded all my lights to LED from classic car LEDs in the UK (I’m in NZ) and the festoon bulb they supply for this is really bright. I also have found the ‘cheap’ aftermarket lenses from ‘The usual suppliers’ to be of excellent quality. The chrome cap from them is not as nice as original- but a good price.

The main problem I’ve found with sticking is, as above, road film, lack of lubricant and fouling on body work.

Cheers Todd
1958 Traveller, (998)
1969 Austin A40 Farina (948)
Clyde, New Zealand
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

While the trafficators are out being serviced, check that the little rubber bump stop is still in situ. They tend to perish and fall off, but replacements are available: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... ap-p829956