Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JHarley
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Interior colour change

Post by JHarley »

Hi all,

I've decided after much thinking to go for a professional rebuild, I understand it will be expensive but for me money is no object, the thing I wanted to ask about was changing the interior colour, I love British Racing Green but I'm really not on the same page as the mint green interior that comes with it, I'm considering changing it to a biscuit interior, I've seen it been done before, I just wanted to ask everyone's thoughts on this, I need some advice.

Best Regards,

Joe :)
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

The proud owner of Alan, a 1966 Trafalgar Blue Traveller.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Interior colour change

Post by palacebear »

You'll get plenty of suggestions Joe but at the end of the day it's your car, your decision as to what suits your taste.... and your money that's being invested in it too !
1956 4-door called Max
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I was looking at a Jaguar mark 2 the other day, in a slightly metallic BRG with a pale tan interior. I thought it looked a very nice combination.

Your choice is entirely up to you and you shouldn’t be swayed by the opinions of others. The MMOC is a broad church ranging from rivet counters to rat rodders, all are welcome.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Neither "British Racing Green" or "Mint Green" were standard colour offerings for the Minor anyway, so if you are having a car rebuilt to own specification and have the luxury of being able to afford to, then why not choose whatever combination you want. As others have said - it is your car :) .
A word of caution though: I know you will say that "you're going to keep it forever" but circumstances do change and if you personalise a car too much, it can be difficult to sell in the future. Also, just be mindful that you don't get talked into spending daft sums of money before you've really found out whether a Morris Minor will suit your needs. I love my Morris Minor and have run one for many years. It suits me but I accept its limitations. You do see a lot of newly restored Morris Minors on the market which people have bought and had restored at vast expense only to find that the ownership experience is not what they thought it would be...... Don't think for a moment that I'm trying to put you off but I don't know what experience you have so far. It might be worth driving a few cars at leisure or even purchasing a decent ordinary example first, just to find out whether it is what you really want. Strangely, in my experience, the owners who have invested the most money in their Morris Minors seem (generally) to use them the least.......
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Thanks everyone for the advice, it's funny those weren't colour combinations... I do have my eye on another car though, it depends on what I think suits my needs, I will view both a restored car and one that had been left as is, either will be great as before considering a Minor I was hooked on the idea of a Reliant Robin! :oops:.. and then I saw them...

Thanks all for the advice,

Joe
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:44 pm Neither "British Racing Green" or "Mint Green" were standard colour offerings for the Minor anyway, so if you are having a car rebuilt to own specification and have the luxury of being able to afford to, then why not choose whatever combination you want. As others have said - it is your car :) .
A word of caution though: I know you will say that "you're going to keep it forever" but circumstances do change and if you personalise a car too much, it can be difficult to sell in the future. Also, just be mindful that you don't get talked into spending daft sums of money before you've really found out whether a Morris Minor will suit your needs. I love my Morris Minor and have run one for many years. It suits me but I accept its limitations. You do see a lot of newly restored Morris Minors on the market which people have bought and had restored at vast expense only to find that the ownership experience is not what they thought it would be...... Don't think for a moment that I'm trying to put you off but I don't know what experience you have so far. It might be worth driving a few cars at leisure or even purchasing a decent ordinary example first, just to find out whether it is what you really want. Strangely, in my experience, the owners who have invested the most money in their Morris Minors seem (generally) to use them the least.......
You've outlined a great point, as I said below, I've got my eye on another unrestored car, which I would like to buy, I do plan to test drive some, but I'm fairly sure it's the right car for me, I knew about the car being harder to sell if I changed the interior colour from the start (it was my father who came up with the idea), I would like to purchase a car that is as is (or thereabouts) but as I've said many times before, I'm purchasing the car with a family member and we both have different motives

Joe

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Glad to hear you got over the Reliant Robin idea. :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If money was no object to me, I’d buy an Aston Martin and kick the Minor into touch!!———well maybe tuck it up somewhere! :D

cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Great points by manyminors, I sold one of my old minors some years ago to a student and the car was spot on. After 2 weeks I received a letter with a long list of faults which were more characteristics of these cars or..poor brakes. When I replied to the list there was nothing out of the ordinary so I politely advised that he compared with other minors and he would be happy with his car.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

ianmack wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:05 pm Glad to hear you got over the Reliant Robin idea. :D
I know, went to a rally and the interiors were AWFUL, and obviously the 3-wheels problem, apparently they are quite stable but I didn't want to take any chances! :D

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

ianmack wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:05 pm Glad to hear you got over the Reliant Robin idea. :D
I know, went to a rally and the interiors were AWFUL, and obviously the 3-wheels problem, apparently they are quite stable but I didn't want to take any chances! :D

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

les wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:03 pm If money was no object to me, I’d buy an Aston Martin and kick the Minor into touch!!———well maybe tuck it up somewhere! :D
Get what you mean Les :D, when I say money is no object the maximum I'd spend on this car is £50,000 at a push, I'd like to keep most of the financial stuff private actually, if that's ok, I've got an appointment at Charles Ware next week so I will post further details then

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

cococola wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm Great points by manyminors, I sold one of my old minors some years ago to a student and the car was spot on. After 2 weeks I received a letter with a long list of faults which were more characteristics of these cars or..poor brakes. When I replied to the list there was nothing out of the ordinary so I politely advised that he compared with other minors and he would be happy with his car.
I'd actually like to thank ManyMinors for such great advice over the past few weeks, to be honest I'd take any classic car (except for a Vauxhall Nova SRI) and I believe the Moggy is the right car for me, I've grown up admiring the Minor, even before I considered buying one, but I understand why people would not want one for various reasons, I think I'll leave it at that

Joe

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, it turns out that the examples I had seen had the interior changed FROM biscuit to mint green, and the mint green I'm referring to should actually go with Porcelain Green, my apologies for this slip-up, should have read the description more carefully :oops:, however, apparently British Racing Green was never offered on the Minor, I have posted about this in General Discussion, any info on that would be greatly appreciated

Apologies again,

Joe

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

For what it's worth, as soon as I started reading your original question, my first thought was to suggest biscuit; and then read that it was already on your list :) As others have said, it's your car and your choice.

Finance is certainly a private matter, but I know of a restorer who produced what can be described only as a perfect or immaculate car for an extremely descerning client, and was embarrassed to have to charge £30K. Let me know if you want moire details.
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

simmitc wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:46 am For what it's worth, as soon as I started reading your original question, my first thought was to suggest biscuit; and then read that it was already on your list :) As others have said, it's your car and your choice.

Finance is certainly a private matter, but I know of a restorer who produced what can be described only as a perfect or immaculate car for an extremely descerning client, and was embarrassed to have to charge £30K. Let me know if you want moire details.
Thanks again for the information, as I said previously I've got an appointment at Charles Ware next week so I wanted to know about colour, most likely I'll get my car in Trafalgar Blue, I only really considered BRG. Thanks for the help.

Joe