Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

cracked tyres

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I have bought both of the readily available tyres of minor tyres in the past, and both types have cracked between the treads. I know this is mostly from lack of use.
I don't do many miles each year. If I bought winter tyres are they less likely to crack between the treads because they are made from softer 'rubber' ?
beero
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: cracked tyres

Post by beero »

How old are your cracked tyres?
This might help
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how ... your-tires

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I bought four newly manufactured low noise tyres that cracked between the treads within 5 months. I was using the car regularly at the time.
I took them back to the supplier who eventually gave me a full refund, saying that they were from 'a bad batch'.
I then bought the other well known brand of minor tyres, and they cracked between the treads after the car was not moved for about 6 weeks. Annoying because there is about 7mm of tread left on them.
Are winter tyres less prone to cracking?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:38 am I then bought the other well known brand of minor tyres, and they cracked between the treads after the car was not moved for about 6 weeks. Annoying because there is about 7mm of tread left on them.
I see no justification for tyres to crack in the way you are describing after only a matter of weeks or months.

My caravan goes out 5 or 6 times a year and the tyres are now 5 years old, but there's no cracks. When it's not out, it sits stationary.

New cars can spend many, many months stood on ships or in depots awaiting sale, they don't get cracked tyres.

Cars can stand for so long they can get flat spots on the tyres, but I've never heard of cracking as you describe.
Basil the 1955 series II

darrenj
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by darrenj »

Might sound silly and I'm sure you know but are the pressures correct, over inflated tyres may crack in the treads, not saying this is the prob but possibility.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Pressures were correct.
My mot tester friend says cracked tyres are common now on many vehicles, and unless the cords are visible between the cracks it is just an advisory on the mot.
Does anyone know if winter tyres are less likely to crack?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

A few years back I purchased a 2nd hand 4x4. It came with a new set of road (not all-terrain) tyres. which were of medium price/quality. 2 years and 20,000 miles later, I had to leave it parked up for six months, during which time all the tyres cracked very badly. Although I take a large pinch of salt with this, a tyre sales/fitting company (independent - not a large chain) advised me that lack of use and the effects of natural ultra-violet light caused the cracking.
My Minor had a set of new radials, made by a respected manufacturer fitted in April 2016. I've done less than 3,000 miles on them and ONE is starting to crack between the treads.
My current 4x4, purchased (2nd hand again) three months ago, had a set of new tyres, also from a respected manufacturer, fitted in September 2017. TWO are now cracked after 8,000 miles.
1956 4-door called Max
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Rubber is not rubber any more.
Are softer winter tyres less likely to crack on low mileage vehicles?