E-type style Dashboard metal ?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JHarley
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

E-type style Dashboard metal ?

Post by JHarley »

Hi all,

Warning: this description is going to be really vague. I'm thinking about doing some custom upgrades on my new Traveller when it comes, I know I'm going to fit an E-type style Moto-Lita steering wheel but I need to know what the metal was on the E-type dashboard? And where to find some, I should probably ask this on the E-type club forum, I saw I Traveller that has been recently sold with this custom addition, I'll post the old ad below.

Hope you can help,

Joe :D
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

The proud owner of Alan, a 1966 Trafalgar Blue Traveller.
JHarley
Minor Fan

Re: E-type style Dashboard metal ?

Post by JHarley »

Here is a photo of the dashboard:
5bd1e35c208db-dscf4374.jpg
5bd1e35c208db-dscf4374.jpg (730.3 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Looks like that one has a more up to date steering column as well. I cannot help with the supplier of that material but here is a photo of my Traveller dashboard.. I made it from plain aluminium sheet and then lacquered it.

I added a cigarette lighter socket in the top left corner to use if we need the sat nav on long journeys, that digital unit shown in the photo is a cheapo volt meter and internal temperature gauge that also has a USB socket. Last Wednesday (the day before the heat wave it was showing 36° C inside the car with the windows open. So I decided to use my modern air conditioned car on Thursday when it got really hot.

One good thing about the hot weather, I think I have now proved that my fuel pipe lagging and carburettor heat shield are working. The car ran perfectly with no signs of vapour locking.

Purely for interest this is the dashboard I made for my Austin 7 Special many years ago, I engine turned the surface with an emery disc.

Phil
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

pgp001 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:25 pm Looks like that one has a more up to date steering column as well. I cannot help with the supplier of that material but here is a photo of my Traveller dashboard.. I made it from plain aluminium sheet and then lacquered it.

I added a cigarette lighter socket in the top left corner to use if we need the sat nav on long journeys, that digital unit shown in the photo is a cheapo volt meter and internal temperature gauge that also has a USB socket. Last Wednesday (the day before the heat wave it was showing 36° C inside the car with the windows open. So I decided to use my modern air conditioned car on Thursday when it got really hot.

One good thing about the hot weather, I think I have now proved that my fuel pipe lagging and carburettor heat shield are working. The car ran perfectly with no signs of vapour locking.

Purely for interest this is the dashboard I made for my Austin 7 Special many years ago, I engine turned the surface with an emery disc.

Phil
Thanks Phil, I think I'll just stick with the wheel, I went hunting on the net and several Google searches turned up dry, now where can I find a new steering column... (if it is needed for the wheel)
Last edited by JHarley on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

You can get ones to fit the minor, but maybe you need to start saving your pocket money :D

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/moto-lita ... minor.html

Phil
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

pgp001 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:29 pm You can get ones to fit the minor, but maybe you need to start saving your pocket money :D

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/moto-lita ... minor.html

Phil
Yes I know, at the time of writing that post earlier, I'd picked the particular wheel and I know the boss I need as well, they also, I think, supply a Morris badge to fit, they do it for certain brands if you ask, I'm purchasing everything direct from Moto-Lita, I'll leave the link to the wheel below

Thanks again,

Joe

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Every time I see a wood rim wheel it reminds me of one I has nicked, I made it at work. All these years later I still curse the lowlife who took it.

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

les wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:42 pm Every time I see a wood rim wheel it reminds me of one I has nicked, I made it at work. All these years later I still curse the lowlife who took it.
I would as well Les, probably stolen to order, or they just thought they could make money on it, have you made anymore since then?

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The first mod I did to my 1959 Minor was fit a Moto-Lita wood rim and it cost me £12.50 including the boss.

The one in the link shows a flat steering wheel - the wheel I fitted was slightly dished and I did need the dish. Ensure that there is enough clearance around the wheel with the flat wheel.

Made just down the road from me at Thruxton.

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

philthehill wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:13 pm The first mod I did to my 1959 Minor was fit a Moto-Lita wood rim and it cost me £12.50.

The one in the link shows a flat steering wheel - the wheel I fitted was slightly dished and I did need the dish. Ensure that there is enough clearance around the wheel with the flat wheel.

Made just down the road from me at Thruxton.
Thought about the dish, a little voice in my head (if you get what I mean) said I needed it, I'll probably get a dish now, thanks for the advice Phil, I love a good wood rim wheel :D

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

2nd choice of wheel (I had this as a back up):
https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering-wh ... im-dished/

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The car was nicked along with the steering wheel, and no, I’ve made no more, it was a one off when I had the opportunity.

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

les wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:36 pm The car was nicked along with the steering wheel, and no, I’ve made no more, it was a one off when I had the opportunity.
Sorry mate, must have been a blow, I've been burgled, not car parts though...

cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

I do like that E type dash meshing in the first picture. :D
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

cococola wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:50 am I do like that E type dash meshing in the first picture. :D
I know, I do as well, but for the life of me I've got no idea what it is or where to find it or make it

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Sleeper wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:20 am A clue..

http://stainmetalinc.com/Surface_Finished_Metal.aspx

John :wink:
Thanks mate! :D , that was just what I needed :)

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Mountney do a nice steering wheel and not very expensive
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

irmscher wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:58 am Mountney do a nice steering wheel and not very expensive
Yeah, I had a look at them, couldn't see any prices for them though...