Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Sally the series 2

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
After a couple of years forced absence I have managed to acquire a 'new' Morris Minor.
Allow me to introduce Sally my latest series 2.
She wants work but appears basically sound, which is just as well, as I drove her back from London on Sunday.
The only issues I had were an erratic / unreliable speedo, which I have temporarily resolved by the use of a speedo app on my mobile and almost running out of fuel. To be fair to Sally I can put the last one down to the worlds biggest mobile car park, namely the M25. Progress was initially okay then it reverted to the usual stop, wait, start, stop, wait, start, stop, wait, start, etc. etc. that we must all be familiar with whenever we have the misfortune to have to use this road. Needless to say this reduced what seemed to be a decent return of miles per gallon, despite having to extract myself from London to, effectively, zero miles per gallon! By the time I got past the Heathrow junctions I was on just under 1/4 tank, by the time I was nearing junction 21 for the M1 (after yet more stop start traffic jam adventures) I was into the red zone and sweating.
Despite signs promising imminent service stations none materialised before aforementioned junction 21, which meant I joined it to all intents and purposes running on fumes and prayers. I stuck to the slow lane, even when it bizarrely intermittently reverted to the hard shoulder / emergency lane, only to morph into the slow lane once more (what seemed like) every few hundred yards and kept doing this all 13 miles to the first service station and (thank God) fuel.
How I got there without grinding to a halt beforehand I will never know, I had visions of being that suicidal mad lone figure wandering up the inside lane fuel can in hand......
However despite this (or maybe partly because of the amazing fuel / fresh air consumption to this point) I was left with a very positive impression of my 'new' series 2. I arrived home in Mansfield (Nottinghamshire) without experiencing an actual breakdown and having 'bonded' with her.
Despite all you hear about the 803 engine and box, the gearchange was good, any graunching / grinding was my fault not the cars and, once I was used to her ways, could be achieved without the aforementioned protest noises.
The engine itself is a Goldseal unit and maintained what I thought was good oil pressure throughout the long journey, 40 PSI at idle and 50 to 60 when travelling. I settled to a speed of between 59 and 65 (on my speedo app, so that should be correct) and even had her up to 69 mph on occasion, without protest.
She only lost a little power on hills (803's don't like them do they) and even then not enough to worry about, however to be fair on a 'flowing' motorway it had a good run at them.
As I said I was left with good feelings towards her.
That said part of my upcoming renovation will include an engine and gearbox swap to a 948 engine mated to a 1098 box.
Too many hills with no run up to them in the Peaks...............
So in due course I will advertise a well proven Goldseal 803 engine and gearbox on here, I consider this journey their testimonial.
Now the real work commences on the car and yes at some point I will submit her for an MOT, after the mechanical / bushing overhaul is complete. I think once every two years is a good compromise for classic cars, what do you think? I believe her last one was in 2016, so by that measure she's overdue one.
The paint / bodywork will bug me too......
More immediately though I have an appeal for a replacement red (maroon) front seat, see second picture, as the covering is beyond TLC / redemption.
If you have one that you can spare I would be interested in purchasing it off you, I would like an original to preserve the look (and smell) of the original, does anyone out here have a (near) match?
To this end if anyone can help I will be extremely grateful.
Best wishes,
Mike.

DSCF3312(1).JPG
DSCF3312(1).JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 2224 times
DSCF3309(1).JPG
DSCF3309(1).JPG (902.77 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Sally the series 2

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hello, Mike. Well done on getting 'Sally' back home safely! Can I ask if there is any advantage in having a 948 engine with a 1098 box, as opposed to a 948 box?
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Lovely car :)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:42 pm Hello, Mike. Well done on getting 'Sally' back home safely! Can I ask if there is any advantage in having a 948 engine with a 1098 box, as opposed to a 948 box?
The 1098 box has a higher second gear and better synchromesh. My s2 is the other way round with a 1098 engine plus a 948 box fitted with the 803 end and gear lever. The 1098 came with the car and is the most powerful of the Minor engines, I fancied having the early type change and this all bolts together with a 948 box. Fitting an early lever to a 1098 box involves some machining and I have no facility for this.

The only trouble with the low second is I pull away in it sometimes. It’s making me lazy!
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

Hi Mike,

Congratulations! I would check very carefully what diff is fitted before you change it (if you are planning to) - if you were able to achieve a genuine 65 mph, you likely won't have the original 5.375:1 ratio fitted ;-).

The standard diff equates to 13.06 mph/1000 rpm and top speed was quoted as 62 mph (in 1953!) - 65 mph would equate to a constant 4977 rpm, hence my surprise! It sounds as though someone has already changed it. Good news if that's the case as it will save you some money!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Thanks for your comments.
With regard to the question:
Can I ask if there is any advantage in having a 948 engine with a 1098 box, as opposed to a 948 box?

I find the 1098 box to be a nicer driving experience than the 948 one, with (I believe) a better spares supply and still a Minor box. I have driven a 948 with it's original box attached in my last car (Olwyn) and (this may seem strange) I actually prefer the driving experience I've just had with the 803 unit.
I already have a spare 1098 axle and 4.22 diff, so no added expense there, I sold my last Morris (because I had to) but kept my shed full (and slightly overflowing! :lol: ) of spares.
However I will see what this axle set up is, now you say this you have me intrigued. The speeds quoted were shown on my app, not the inaccurate and erratic speedo, so should be correct.
The speedo problems could be down to a cable issue, I haven't investigated yet, time will tell.
I'm still looking for a seat to replace the one pictured above if anyone new reads this and can help.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Mike
I've a couple hanging up in the carport....
2019_0807seats0004.JPG
2019_0807seats0004.JPG (349.5 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
2019_0807seats0003.JPG
2019_0807seats0003.JPG (228.63 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
2019_0807seats0002.JPG
2019_0807seats0002.JPG (229.34 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
2019_0807seats0001.JPG
2019_0807seats0001.JPG (174.46 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
John
Manchester
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks John, pm sent.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Gliptone would refresh and get those looking nice and it looks like you would only need the seat base.
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

irmscher wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:24 am Gliptone would refresh and get those looking nice and it looks like you would only need the seat base.
Could be wrong, but it looks to me as though the seats in Mike's car are the vinyl ones rather than leather - can't tell if John's ones are leather or not though. Point being that the gliptone would work better on leather than vinyl!
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

:wink:
liammonty wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:23 am
irmscher wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:24 am Gliptone would refresh and get those looking nice and it looks like you would only need the seat base.
Could be wrong, but it looks to me as though the seats in Mike's car are the vinyl ones rather than leather - can't tell if John's ones are leather or not though. Point being that the gliptone would work better on leather than vinyl!
The ones in Mikes car look to me as leather , same as mine ,
Adjuster welded back on.
Cheap as chips.
Being collected Saturday

John
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Big thanks to John, I have gone from this:
Attachments
DSCF3309(1).JPG
DSCF3309(1).JPG (902.77 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

To this:
Attachments
DSCF3323.JPG
DSCF3323.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1913 times
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Glad you're happy...

Who said, " you can't buy patina" :lol:

John :wink:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

A big improvement, I think you'll agree.
Could be wrong, but it looks to me as though the seats in Mike's car are the vinyl ones rather than leather
They are certainly responding to a good clean and feed like leather.

You will have spotted here is a slight colour variation, I am hoping to 'blend' this better with the use of a coloured balm (they'll be well fed once I'm done -- but then who knows how long they've been 'starved' for beforehand......)

One product can I recommend is 'Nite-Shades', a lens paint, available in several colours, to refresh sun bleached / time worn lenses for brake lights and indicators. I was dead chuffed with the results on mine, see before and after pictures below.
For anyone interested I've attached a link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VHT-SP888-RE ... 2749.l2649

NB: I gave them a good wash inside before painting.
Attachments
DSCF3319(1).JPG
DSCF3319(1).JPG (672.02 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
DSCF3324.JPG
DSCF3324.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1905 times