Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Redex

Post by geoberni »

There's been some chat about Redex Lead Replacement additive around here recently and I've been making some enquiries.

There's lots of Redex products around there's days, Injector Cleaners etc, but they still offer a Lead Replacement/Upper Lubricant; it's just not as readily available as the stuff aimed at the more modern motors.

If you look at Fleabay, there's lots about, with various labels, some stating part number RADD1301A, others listing RDX18, with many not saying which they are...

This one even claiming both numbers!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADD1301A-RD ... SwdEhdC40F

I contacted Redex (Holts) and the prompt reply was that RDX18
ceased to be a product in the portfolio more than a handful of years ago – we wouldn’t advise using any stock that is stamped RDX18.
So if you are buying Redex Lead Replacement, you might want to bear that in mind.
Basil the 1955 series II

martin418
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Redex

Post by martin418 »

thank you for the info i am one of the members who is using redex and the ones i just bought are the latter part number
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Generally speaking though, Redex, if stored in a cool, dry place (e.g., garage, shed, etc.) can last for years and be perfectly fine to use, in my experience.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/302032241570

I now use this Millers product. In addition to being a Lead replacement, it claims to protect classic cars' fuel systems from Ethanol damage. It also claims an enhancement of up to 2 Octane points. After a few hundred miles usage my Minor seems to pull more strongly up a local main-road hill, and tickover speed has risen (not a very scientific test, could be other unrelated reasons).