Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Fitting an Alternator Video

Post by Trickydicky »

I found this video on Youtube from Moss explaining the difference between a Dynamo and an Alternator. It also explains how to wire an Alternator clearly.
As a few have stated when having issues, electrical troubleshooting for some is difficult.
Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsAYiUHsho
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
TYC601
Minor Friendly

Re: Fitting an Alternator Video

Post by TYC601 »

That's a very good video. I also watched the associated ones on how the regulator works, and how to set it up. Very informative.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Cannot listen to a north american voice for more then 2 minutes at any one time because of the horrible sound but the information, so far , looks very good.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Nickol wrote: Sun May 17, 2015 5:28 pm Cannot listen to a north american voice for more then 2 minutes at any one time because of the horrible sound but the information, so far , looks very good.
I don't think his voice is particularly 'North American' it's just so monotone and boring.... They should've got a better voice over. :o
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Actually, watching this video back again, I've realised this has a glaring safety omission.

It doesn't mention that the wiring to the ammeter that was previously in the Genny/Dynamo circuit will likely melt when given the current output of the alternator.

Plus, the ammeter itself could well be damaged as it will probably be a 30-0-30 indicator and the Alternator could be 45amp plus, so it would need higher rated wiring and a higher rated gauge, ie.e a 60-0-60.
Basil the 1955 series II

arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

I have fitted an alternator and just followed the drawing given. I am a bit surprised that when I turn the lights on whilst the engine is running the ammeter goes well into the -?
I put my volt meter on the battery and it is 14.5v no lights on and 13v with lights on so it seems the alternator is working, maybe the ammeter needs to be wired in somewhere else?

Patrick
Martlin
Minor Friendly

Post by Martlin »

Excellent,most helpful video,but I know I’m getting on a bit but I understand that alternators only work on negative earth,but that final wiring diagram in the video shows positive earth,or is it just me! :roll:
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Martlin
You are correct it does show a positive earth wiring diagram and " negative " earth Alternators are the norm now ( positive earth Alternators were produced , in the early days ). Postive earth Alternators are around but not terribly easy to find.
Bob
Martlin
Minor Friendly

Post by Martlin »

What would you say would be the best ampere for an alternator fitted to a Morris Ital engine.Looks like origional figment was 34 ampere.
Could I upgrade this for a higher ampere.
Martin.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You are right in that the original Marina/Ital alternator had an output of 34AMPS at 6000 alternator rpm

You can easily upgrade to a 50AMP alternator.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTERNATOR-1 ... Swl~tZlCxI

Martlin
Minor Friendly

Post by Martlin »

Thanks Phil,I will order the one you recommended.
Martin.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Fitting an Alternator Vid

Post by oliver90owner »

Generally, an alternator will charge at high amps even just above idle. 34A should be more than adequate for most minors - considering the dynamos were deemed adequate back in the day. Likely getting twice the output most of the time.

10 amps for headlamps, 2A for side lights, 3A for wipers, a couple for the heater motor and a couple for the ignition. Leaves plenty to return the starting current in the first couple of minutes running.

If you have heated screens at both front and rear it is a different matter!

When the dynamo would be struggling, an alternator would be generating the full load quite easily.

My previous car was annoying in that the alternator ‘dropped out’ at engine tick-over - the headlights went dim. That should not really have occurred. It does not do that on my current vehicle.

Changing to a bigger machine, than required, is a waste of money unless the charge rate is required - the alternator will only be making the load in use, so will regulate down from its maximum output for most of the running time.

That said, there is not a lot of difference if one has to replace the alternator, but changing just for the sake of change will simply cost you money with no real benefit.
Martlin
Minor Friendly

Post by Martlin »

Has anyone got a wiring diagram for an alternator conversion for a 1098 Minor.
The video is very good,but not quite the same as the Minor wiring.
Many thanks,
Martin. :D
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Martlin
Minor Friendly

Post by Martlin »

Yes myoldjalopy,very helpful,many thanks,Martin.