Long Range Classics

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Long Range Classics

Post by amgrave »

What's wrong with it, they are OK if you have a nautical bent :wink: :lol: :lol:

Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Monty-4 »

Needs a new interior, otherwise a fresh restoration. Picked it up on the basis of it being a bargain, really.

Just doesn't have the charm of the Minor.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

That old P6 I bought and sold when making this old thread is now worth 3-4 times what I paid and sold it for (£1500). Doh!

Oh well. I've recently bought myself a second "practical classic" for my new job (I'm now a commuter) so I can still tinker with the Morris without it having to be on the road 100% of the time. That can be a very stressful life indeed.

It's a bright yellow Volvo 145, so similar to the one in 'The Good Life' that I believe it was used in a documentary about the series a few years back. While I'm growing fond of it and slowly making it my own (a hidden stereo, decent tyres, cleaning, etc.) the Minor remains my favourite!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Triumph dolomite 1850 are a nice long range car to drive and very comfy
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I wish you hadn’t done that Phil ! :cry:

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

At the time of posting I did wonder what your reaction would be :wink:

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Now you know ! ——- I had years of enjoyment though, makes me feel a little better! :-? At least I took some photos, something I didn’t do with a lot of vehicles.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

That Mini is very "well known". The dealer trying to palm it off has been trying to sell it for ages along with a somewhat fabricated story. The "Broadspeed" company he refers to who owned it are NOT the famous tuning company founded by Ralph Broad but a car dealer who traded using that name and also tried (for years) to sell that car for a crazy price! Since he first tried to sell it, the car has mysteriously gained a fake "original" body number plate which wasn't present at all previously :roll: I could tell you more but.....Buyer beware!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised ———but feel free to tell us more :D
I got mine by exchanging an 850 mini plus £150 !

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

But how much did you get when you had finished with it Les
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A bit more than 150 but less than 65000 ! ——-( a LOT less) but that was yesterday and that’s no more. I heard it said somewhere——- the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there,

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

If had the cars and motorbikes I used to own I would be a multi millionaire :lol: .Most older members will remember when you could pick cars up for £50 running and the scrap man used to charge the owner for scrapping them when they were knackered :o
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Been looking at 'Long Range Classics' as well. My days of driving a manual car are coming to an end so I need an automatic. For the same reason I need a car that's good to go. I'm not able to roll around on damp concrete under a car any more.

In past years, when they were cheap throw-away cars, I had a number of Marinas. Not everyone's cuppa but I liked them. I still do and I'm looking for another.

Plus points: Cheap to run. Many (obviously not all yet) are free to tax now. They'll keep up with motorway traffic.

Minus points: Although they are usually within my budget, some 'good' Marinas are fetching silly money now (£8k - £10k). 1.3 versions seem to change hands more often than 1.7/1.8 versions.

And the big problem... taking Marinas and Itals together, there are allegedly fewer than 30 automatics still registered in the UK.

I could be waiting a VERY long time for one to come up for sale.
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Look what I’ve just found —— the same car as in Phil’s link.
08727349-69FD-4DE7-8B2F-E6B21EEF3690.png
08727349-69FD-4DE7-8B2F-E6B21EEF3690.png (2.06 MiB) Viewed 2980 times

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

palacebear wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:08 am Been looking at 'Long Range Classics' as well. My days of driving a manual car are coming to an end so I need an automatic. For the same reason I need a car that's good to go. I'm not able to roll around on damp concrete under a car any more.

In past years, when they were cheap throw-away cars, I had a number of Marinas. Not everyone's cuppa but I liked them. I still do and I'm looking for another.

Plus points: Cheap to run. Many (obviously not all yet) are free to tax now. They'll keep up with motorway traffic.

Minus points: Although they are usually within my budget, some 'good' Marinas are fetching silly money now (£8k - £10k). 1.3 versions seem to change hands more often than 1.7/1.8 versions.

And the big problem... taking Marinas and Itals together, there are allegedly fewer than 30 automatics still registered in the UK.

I could be waiting a VERY long time for one to come up for sale.
Quite, I waited a couple of years for a Volvo 145 in the particular colour I wanted to come up, and then I still 'settled' for the later model with a more modern dash (dials and plastics vs strip speedo and veneer).

For autos - I saw a lovely Morris Oxford, I think it was, with the leather bench seat across the front at the Dundee Museum of Transport show a couple of years back. Now that's style and convenience!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Monty-4 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 pm
Quite, I waited a couple of years for a Volvo 145 in the particular colour I wanted to come up, and then I still 'settled' for the later model with a more modern dash (dials and plastics vs strip speedo and veneer).

For autos - I saw a lovely Morris Oxford, I think it was, with the leather bench seat across the front at the Dundee Museum of Transport show a couple of years back. Now that's style and convenience!
A BMC 4-cylinder Farina auto is on my list of possibilities too. Fairly hard to find and generally they're a little beyond my budget now. One within budget on Ebay currently. It's a Wolseley 16/60 (my preferred variant) but I have serious enough doubts about it to avoid it. A BMC 6-cylinder Farina would be ideal but definitely beyond my budget... and won't fit in the garage!

I'd like to stick with BMC/BL if possible so 1800/2200 'Landcrabs' are on the list, along with Allegro Vanden Plas. Even considering BL Princess/Ambassador despite never really liking the look of them.

Years ago I had a Dolomite 1850HL auto. One if the two worst cars I've ever owned. It puts me off considering another one, but no doubt it was a one-off 'bad' car and not anything hereditary! I may consider another one.
1956 4-door called Max
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I saw one of the big Riley landcrabs go for around £2k not that long ago. I think they are still unfashionable enough to go cheapish. :)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

les wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:44 pm Look what I’ve just found —— the same car as in Phil’s link.
08727349-69FD-4DE7-8B2F-E6B21EEF3690.png
Yes, Same seller. Same car. As I said earlier, he's been trying to offload it for ages! Despite his claims regarding the originality of this car, if you study the photos in the earlier advert you can see that it now has different seats and different wheels.....
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I'm starting to doubt the wisdom of this Volvo purchase as I've just had to pay for a new alternator and it was quite literally three times the price of a Moggy unit. Add that to the cost of swapping out some saggy springs and empty dampers - this is becoming expensive.

I don't know why we bother with any other cars, Minors are the best!