Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gearbox prices

Post by SteveClem »

ampwhu wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:53 pm nice pick up. ive seen A35 pick ups go for around 25K and they are rare! the MM does have the 5 star package though...….

mine must be worth at least 20K then......
Good ones are like rocking horse manure. Projects are rare and expensive. Supply and demand?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Regarding the heater tap modification:-

Yes an interesting modification. When the tap or valve is closed at the bottom hose connection the water in and through the heater is not circulating but the water will get hot throughout the heater system by convection from the top rear of the cylinder head.

I personally cannot see the point in placing the heater control valve in the position it is as it does not control the flow of heat to the heater element.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

philthehill wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:14 am Regarding the heater tap modification:-

Yes an interesting modification. When the tap or valve is closed at the bottom hose connection the water in and through the heater is not circulating but the water will get hot throughout the heater system by convection from the top rear of the cylinder head.

I personally cannot see the point in placing the heater control valve in the position it is as it does not control the flow of heat to the heater element.
Mad isn't it - as well as being very untidy with the hose flapping about like that. I know there are problems with the reproduction heater valves but for the money they're asking for that vehicle I'd expect them to have sourced a new/old stock one. It certainly hasn't been restored with "original spec" in mind has it? There are lots of incorrect details for a pick-up of that age.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Now if they had put the valve in the pipe from the back of the head especially in light of the current problems as regards valve reliability it would not have been so bad but to get the heater control system ar-- about face is unbelievable.

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

They call it a “heater upgrade”, that suggests an improvement over the standard setup. Maybe we’re only seeing part of the ‘upgrade’?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

That heater control is not an up grade but a down grade as it goes against the designed flow and control of coolant water through the heater system.

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I think mine looks just as good and is very useful. It has a similar engine, cruises at the legal limit with a bit to spare and does 40 mpg. maybe the engine room is not as polished but I have owned it since 1996 and it is always admired at shows. Maybe if it was reduced to £10000 it would sell!!
gaydon 002 copy.jpg
gaydon 002 copy.jpg (290.42 KiB) Viewed 767 times
This photo was taken by the official photographer at Gaydon
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

very nice!