Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Minor insurance

Post by millerman »

I've been ringing around re insurance and it is interesting to note that Footman James now charge an extra premium of £12 to guarantee the owner gets back the salvage in the case of a Category A or B insurance write off at no extra charge. If the extra premium is not paid then the salvage can be purchased by the owner at market prices.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Minor insurance

Post by geoberni »

I'm confused on a couple of points here...
Firstly, such an option is a bit pointless for Cat A, since there are no useable parts. Only Cat B allows 'parts salvage'.
See here:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know ... write-off/

Secondly, I'm currently insured with FJ and my policy document states:
Salvage Retention
The option to retain the salvage in the event of a total loss claim by deducting the cost of the salvage from the settlement.
Significant Exclusions and Limitations
• The vehicle must be deemed a Category S or N total loss in order for salvage to be considered.
• Category A and B are declared damaged beyond repair therefore salvage cannot be retained.
I've got my renewal due in a short while and my renewal information does not mention any thing such as you refer to. If they were offering such an option, surely they would be keen to get me to add it????

Very odd. :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

Hi Geo, thanks for reply
So, salvage does have to be paid for if the owner wants it back. Provided the car hasn't been burnt out it is surprising what cab salvaged from a Cat A write off

Thanks for the link, very interesting

When renewing insurance ask plenty of questions, even more if it's you "daily driver"
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Nowadays it doesn't take much for a classic car to be written off ie body damage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

According to the links above a CAT A write off means that the vehicle has to be destroyed and that includes all parts. Therefore nothing can be salvaged and used on an other vehicle. Even if there were salvageable parts they must be destroyed with the vehicle.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It’s a bit ridiculous,that...obviously crash damaged parts can’t be allowed back into the market, but lots of rare and useful stuff is being wasted.
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

SteveClem wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:43 pm It’s a bit ridiculous,that...obviously crash damaged parts can’t be allowed back into the market, but lots of rare and useful stuff is being wasted.
Is this a legal requirement or something the insurance companies have dreamt up?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

It's on the gov.uk website: https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written ... -writeoffs

I would suggest that any classic classed as a Cat A should be argued against most strongly, even going to appeal if need be.
Also that the Insured should be able retain it/ buy it as a write off at scrap value.

Edited to add... I've done some more digging and now found the actual ABI Salvage Code https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/fil ... r-2017.pdf

Basically the example they give is at para 8.4
8.4 Question 4 - Should any parts be removed?
There are a number of reasons why an insurer/self – insured might request the vehicle to be crushed in its entirety below are some examples:
•Fire Damage Chemical contamination and parts unserviceable due to heat (see section on fire damage)
•Water damage Biological contamination - parts unserviceable due to water ingress (See section on water damage)
•Health and safety –Contamination: Biological - Chemical - Drugs etc
•Police Request
•Ethical grounds request
So, worth arguing against Cat A if you can.
I can see the most likely reason would be fatalities in the incident and the wreckage is smeared with biological remains. :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

Geo

Thanks very much for research, the ABI Salvage Code looks a good reference document

8.4 of the code seems perfectly reasonable but 9.4 could be used

9.4 Historic/ Classic Vehicles
It is recognised that some historic/ classic vehicles or vehicles of special interest (Sentimental Value) may be repaired irrespective of extent of damage, providing it is safe to do so. In these cases the vehicle will fall outside the Code of Practice, which will not apply. However careful consideration must be taken to justify this action and if required escalation sought to make sure the correct decision has been made.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Good spot.
I didn't read that far.
Thumbs.jpg
Thumbs.jpg (19.37 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Basil the 1955 series II