Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Condenser problem

Post by Propshaft »

Hi All. I have recently returned from a near thousand mile trip in six days to Holland and back . I have carried out a full restoration on this van over the last few years . The van has a1275 midget engine hif38 carb , new wiring and all associated electrical components . It returned 37 mpg on the trip and ran really well except I had to change the points and condenser twice . Any suggestions why the condenser is braking down . Ps the weather was v hot when we did the trip
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Re: Condenser problem

Post by Biggles1957 »

There's an awful lot of really poor quality condensers out there - well documented fault - best to get good quality ones from the Distributor Doctor or somewhere like that. Bit ,more expensive but they work!
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by paul 300358 »

I had a couple of condensers go so I tried electronic ignition which lasted 18 months, I've now had a distributor doctor points and condenser for the last 6 months with no problem.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

The 'Dizzy Doc' is the way to go. Fitted one of his 'proper job' condensors six years ago and still working as it should. I also use his points which are superior to the bog-standard ones 8)
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Here is a good write up on why they fail, http://nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/
It would appear that the main reasons for failure are manufacturers skimping on the internal components.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Hi thank you all for your informative replies the write up on the condenser being a real eye opener. Still undecided which route to take , electronic or distributor doctor
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I would still go to Distributor Doctor even if you opt for electronic.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Many swear by electronic ignition. On the other hand, there have been reports on here of such units failing - and when they fail, they are dead......quite a problem if you are on the road, miles from home - perhaps in Holland! Personally I would get a set of points and a condensor from the good doctor. As well as being a cheaper option to electronic ignition, at service intervals you can check/clean/re-set the points gap, thereby maintaining reliability. Of course, I carry a set of spare points and condensor in case of total failure but have never needed them and unlikely to, as long as I check/maintain the points set-up at the recommended service intervals. Chances are your original points were OK in quality but burnt out when the poor quality condensor failed.
In conclusion, I would say that the points system is very reliable, if set-up correctly with good quality components...... 8)