Pickup restoration part three

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Pickup restoration part three

Post by jagnut66 »

Glad the solution proved to be the easy option. :P
And packing them out with plenty of grease, as you are doing, is no bad thing either.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Glad you got it sorted but..........I have to wonder.......Had you never greased it previously :-?
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

haven't posted in a while, busy with the house move to our bungalow. Alice was soooo handy during the move, not only trips for property into storage, but the Bungalow was a dooer upper. Massive overgrown garden, major refurb, Alice has been worth her weight in gold throughout the whole process, but the heavy workload saw the final end to her original Carburetor, so I treated her to a new Carb from ESM and now she runs better than ever,

Alice! you are so Morris Minor Supermarket, you are apic!

smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Dave
I looked at your pictures first and was trying to orientate my perspective. Don't recognise the garage set up , I thought to myself !
Then I read you had moved. Pleased it went well and that you are settling in with Alice's valuable assistance.
Good to hear from you again , the new carb looks smart.
Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Cheers Bob, been a while, so much use for Alice, running building supplies, she's a sand and cement truck, she's soon to be a cobblestone carrier. She's done her time carrying a cement mixer. With the new Carb fitted, she takes it all in her stride.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Moggie trouble of a different kind, A sensible little Mr Furry Someone would have put one paw in and gone around the other way, oh no, not Tink, he looks like he's auditioning for strictly come dancing, In my fresh Cement!
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Dave
I hope you moved like grease lightening , with the trowel , to smooth things over !
Just checking but Tink is still above the concrete and not underneath it now ? Only joking.
You'll have to rename him " Tinker " now.
Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

thanks Bob, Tinker he is.

when you have a few hours to yourself it's nice to just, go for a drive, finding that winding country lane and just seeing where it leads you.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Hi Dave ,
Glad you enjoyed your little run out in Alice this morning. We went out for a breath of fresh air this morning. Hampton Court had their regular Christmas outdoor skating rink set up . Great fun watching everybody trying to stay upright. A young lad , 13 years old today he announced ( part of his birthday treat ) wasn't too ashamed to have his plastic penguin assistant to get him round the rink." it's a lot more difficult than it looks " was his assessment ! The River Thames was like a mill pond but water levels high . All that rain water travelling down river from the Oxford area.
Happy Christmas ,
Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Thanks for that Cheery Christmas post there Bob.

Alice has been busy these last few weeks, carrying timber to make the new shed workshop, just large enough to get a moggie in.

it's far from completed, still the insulation and inner panels to fit, but Alice has a broken exhaust bracket that needed urgent attention, so she is officially the first job in the workshop.

I've never had this much room to work on her, this is luxury for me.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Hi Dave ,
Sorry , I just stumbled on your post 24.7.2019. I trust extra precautions are being put in place when welding ( exhaust bracket now sorted ? ) , you don't want that great looking shed / workshop / garage going up in smoke !

I've been playing " catch up " this year , ever since the first few days in January. All the furniture had been moved around for the fitters to put in a new staircase. Half an hour before their arrival , the central heating developed a leak and we had water cascading through the Hall ceiling , dripping from the light fittings and switches. Oh , what fun or words to that effect went through my mind !
Just got my Classic car back from the paint shop after a roundabout rear end shunt from a MG Midget and MGB owner , driving his Modern. The guys who painted the car originally , did a great job for me and the offender stumped up without any fuss. It went smoothly , a bit of inconvenience but no broken bones or shed blood to contend with. Such is life.
Are you hoping to crack on with the insulation and internal stuff before the Winter sets in ?
Regards Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Hi Bob, sounds like you had a lot to deal with, so what is the classic you have now with bright new shiney paintwork?

the shed is moving along slowly now the main part is done. Just fitted the two workbenches in there.

the drivers seat needs attention, as I'm getting that sinking feeling

just a broken metal clip, plenty of those in a box somewhere, but the slats need replacing so 7 on order of those, not today, it's bank holiday monday and they are closed, tomorrow then, get them by Wednesday.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

in the meantime, I'm making a new seat cushion from this old foam sofa base. cut to size first...
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Hi Dave ,
Installing fresh webbing will make a tremendous improvement. Some people keep it simple ,copying side to side on one layer and front to back on another layer. Others prefer to inter weave the webbing to restrict movement.
It's personal choice as always.
A drop in temperature tomorrow will make for a cooler working environment. I'm giving a mate a hand once a week with his newly acquired 1967 Jaguar Mk2 3.4 litre 'S ' type. Been in a garage for 35 years. It is a big beast ,
I reckon you could just about squeeze a Morris Minor in the boot !!
Hope re upholstering goes well. PM sent.
Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Good advice about the weather Bob, it was much cooler yesterday.

I've got out of my restoration routine, forgot to take pictures of the stages of the seat rebuild, here it is finished and bolted back in place, the firm new web straps were hard to stretch and clip into position, would have been easier with a little helper, but not impossible on my own with a pair of long nosed pliers. I'm impressed with how firm the seat feels, very comfortable, and as usual with ESM, next day delivery.

the seat cover has a tear in it, never mind, I used gorilla glue to glue down the edges of the tear so they don't catch. On the whole I'm happy with how it turned out, the straps are £4.50 each including vat, I replaced all seven. Now for a comfortable drive to B&Q for some more timber.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

A good job done there Dave. You've probably got a better view of the road in Alice now that you're sitting that much higher !
My wife's car , driver's seat has a small tear / tiny split appearing so I'd be interested in your feed back on how the Gorilla glue application works out. Trying to source a quality flexible vinyl glue for car seats isn't so easy when all it needs is a couple of spots of glue.
Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Cheers Bob.

great fix for my nagging exhaust bracket problem, finally found a solution, I purchased a Ford Transit van exhaust bracket and it fits perfectly, no welding needed either.
it's stopped the rattle by allowing a small degree of movement with the rubber piece that fits between the exhaust clamp and the bracket that simply attaches to one of the bolts holding the wood floor to the metal floor side panel.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Dave ,
Well done. There's always "sum-mat to do " on a classic car , but after a restoration your mind is problem solving
attuned.
Confined to barracks as part of the 70+ brigade , my mate has brought me some " homework ".In lieu of my weekly visit to his garage , to work on his old Jaguar MK2 'S' type , he's left me with a cardboard box of stuff for dismantling , cleaning and refurbishing. Horns 2 , fuel pump x 2 ,carburetor linkage, rear drive shaft , steering wheel linkage, Bowden cable and wiper wheelboxes , rear inboard handbrake disc assemblies. I'm wondering what there will be left to do ….. after morning coffee !! It will definitely stop me from going stir crazy.
Morris Minors are certainly easier to work on and not so heavy !
Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

glad you're keeping those brain cells in use Bob, be a hec of a waste otherwise. Like they say, if you don't use it...

today was a check day, Brakes, battery, my new exhaust brackets, took Alice out for a run in the country, what a great day to be on the open road.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Dave,
Great image of Alice in the countryside.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)