Removing sorn

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Removing sorn

Post by les »

Do I just get a form at post office, and fill it in, or can it be removed over the phone ? The vehicle in question is tax and mot exempt.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Removing sorn

Post by philthehill »

I am under the impression that when you tax it the SORN is automatically removed.

I also understand that whilst you do not pay real cash to get the car on the road you do have to go through the DVLA procedure of taxing the vehicle and if it has a MOT even though MOT exempt the MOT if current does count as part of the taxing process.

This thread will be helpful to me as my motorcycle becomes road tax and MOT exempt next year.

Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for your reply Phil, I’ll see what forms are appropriate, when on the road I relied on the reminder being sent, and simply phoned up the automated service quoting the reminders 16 digit reference number, for tax to be granted. I’ve always had a bike myself, what do you ride Phil?

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

you simply go on line and tax the vehicle using the number from the vehicle log book/ reg document since you no longer will have a reminder they don't send one after first sorn declaration,they check mot/exemption and insurance and sorn is removed.,until you ,again on line ,place it back as off road.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les

A Honda XL185S trail bike.

Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks kennat, that sounds the best option.
Phil, the nearest type of bike to yours, that I had, was a Suzuki 185 ER. I now ride a Yamaha R3, a medium size machine, bikes are the answer to today’s traffic, for many trips.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I discovered I could also phone dvla to tax vehicle with just v5c. After giving details via selecting various options a mechanised voice told me the vehicle should be taxed from 1st May 2020 ! Trying again I got the same response. I cancelled the call.
Went for the online method but had a similar result. Filled in all details, clicked continue and up came a window, saying vehicle is taxed until 1st May 2020 ! Clicking the continue tab, was again informed vehicle already taxed. I declared sorn about 3 years. Looks like I need to speak to a real person.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

This sounds like of of those typical DVLA issues where it's easier to go with the flow.
If Computer says it's taxed, then you'll going to be like a Dung Beetle pushing uphill.

Definitely worth the fight if there's money involved, but it's Taxation Class is 'Exempt', so why waste hours of your life when the result you seek is what you already have, to have the computer show it's taxed....
You're in effect picking an argument with petty bureaucracy to win a result you already have....
Basil the 1955 series II