Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Willienelson
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

LED bulbs anyone?

Post by Willienelson »

Hi again

As much as I like to keep Maurice original he has had some sympathetic upgrades such as heated front and rear windscreens, negative earth polarity change, unleaded fuel valve seats and electronic ignition.

Has anyone tried LED bulb replacements?

The low power they use can only help aged wiring but are there any downsides I’m not aware of?

Pete
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: LED bulbs anyone?

Post by Sleeper »

Pete
I've just replaced some of mine , and all is good...interior light,speedometer illumination , oil/main beam warning light
front sidelights , number-plate illumination...and have some more on order to do the rest...

John :wink:
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

I’ve replaced everything except the ign warning light. A definite improvement all round. All purchased from here, https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ some may be a little more than ebay but the quality is top notch.
Last edited by Banned User on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Yes, replaced my rear / brake lights for greater rear visability (so others can see me!). Also panel lights and fitted 'Flashicator' bulbs in the trafficators, for the price it's a no brainer.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
beero
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by beero »

Interior light is a must, doesn't get hot and melt the plastic lens when you leave the door open. Front sidelights are also a good move but beware the ones with a blueish tint, MOT testers don't like them. I haven't had much luck with stop/tail, the tail is brighter but the stop is not so bright so the difference at night is hardly visible, although I haven't tried spending as much money as https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ charge for theirs. Maybe theirs are better, I might try them. I wouldn't bother with indicators myself but that's just my opinion.

Willienelson
Minor Friendly

Post by Willienelson »

Thanks everyone, another order going in, just don’t tell the mrs!
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Regarding the blue tinted sidelight bulbs, bulbs that look the same as original are available from the website that I linked to.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Basil has been modified in the past to have the side light in the headlamp, with amber indicators on the front.
I've put clear lenses on the front and put LED Amber lamps in. That way he looks more original, but still benefits from amber indicators.
Only putting them in the front meant I didn't need to change the flasher unit due to the drop in wattage.
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

beero wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:22 pm I haven't had much luck with stop/tail, the tail is brighter but the stop is not so bright so the difference at night is hardly visible, although I haven't tried spending as much money as https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ charge for theirs.
I found a good Negative review that explains the very problem; actually works it out on the calculator! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMc8PtCcwvw
As you say, the ration of brightness difference is not enough.
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

I'll see if I can get you some worthwhile images of the bulbs that I've fitted. There's certainly a very noticeable difference between side light and brake light brightness.

Also have a read of this, it explains why you shouldn't use white led bulbs behind coloured lenses. https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/blogs/ ... red-lenses
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Just found perhaps one of the best disclaimers ever on an ebay page for LED Stop/tail lights. Right at the end it says
Unlike halogen bulbs, LED are polarity sensitive.

Note: There is no convention when it comes to polarity.
Different car manufactures have different polarity setup, even within the car model the polarity setup on your low beams and high beams might be different.
So perhaps Chinese Cars don't use the bodywork as a return path.... :lol: :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Be aware that the lamp lenses were designed specifically to use British pre-focus bulbs, either 404 or 414. Anything else may affect the beam pattern, dazzle oncoming traffic and potentially be illegal. The best setup for cars with replaceable bulb headlamps is two good 414 bulbs.
Willienelson
Minor Friendly

Post by Willienelson »

Is there an LED alternative to the 414 bulb?

TBH the output doesn’t seem too bad on Maurice, but is a bit yellow which is to be expected.

Pete
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Willienelson wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 am Is there an LED alternative to the 414 bulb?

TBH the output doesn’t seem too bad on Maurice, but is a bit yellow which is to be expected.

Pete
Not very common, probably as it's only used on Classics and Tractors.....
The P36D seems to be the equivalent in LED.
classiccarleds.co.uk seem to have the type on hold as they say they cannot get good enough quality items produced. https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pages/ ... a240&_ss=r

However, dynamoregulator.com have them and there is a couple of sellers on ebay.
They're very expensive, around £25-£30 each, no matter where you go for them.
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

geoberni wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 am The P36D seems to be the equivalent in LED.
classiccarleds.co.uk seem to have the type on hold as they say they cannot get good enough quality items produced.
That’s right, I spoke to them about it a couple of weeks ago, they don’t have an eta at the moment. It’s a shame as I’d like some for my Lucas spotlights.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

PoolGuy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:26 am
geoberni wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 am The P36D seems to be the equivalent in LED.
classiccarleds.co.uk seem to have the type on hold as they say they cannot get good enough quality items produced.
That’s right, I spoke to them about it a couple of weeks ago, they don’t have an eta at the moment. It’s a shame as I’d like some for my Lucas spotlights.
Might be worth trying dynamoregulators. I found their trafficator flashers very good quality.
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Thanks Geo, I’ll take a look.

Tried to get some pics of the side/brake led lights. Even taking into account the limitations of a phone camera, this is the difference. Brake and side, then side on its own.

Edited to correct typo.
Attachments
9B75FF9C-A96B-4526-BC57-D0D51F0F27CE.jpeg
9B75FF9C-A96B-4526-BC57-D0D51F0F27CE.jpeg (448.11 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
E718FBC9-FD0A-4578-B34F-4CFEA036A3D0.jpeg
E718FBC9-FD0A-4578-B34F-4CFEA036A3D0.jpeg (414.79 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
Last edited by Banned User on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

What's the tail light only like?
The common fault with many seems to be that tail/side light only isn't dim enough compared to the brightness of the brake light.
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Doh, that’s brake/side and side on its own. Edited accordingly.
Last edited by Banned User on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Just fitted my Fleabay purchase from Ping-Pong , incandescent 4.6 and 3.4 Amps main and dip respectively , the Leds 0.98 amps either mode , wrong beam pattern was fixed by rotating the led unit in it's holder, am pleased ( especially as they only cost me £9 for the pair delivered to my door....so pleased in fact that I'v ordered another pair ( just in case ).
Going out for a meal tonight so will report back in the morning..

John :D