Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Loss of power

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Hi All
I’ve just collected my 1967 Morris called Audrey from my garage that I use locally .It went in for a few things and a general check over for the winter months etc.
She is a good working car nothing grand but runs well and all has been fine .However on the way home I was leaving a roundabout when suddenly in 4 th gear I experienced what I can only describe as a temporary loss of power .Not total and after a few seconds everything picked up and she ran fine again for the next 25 miles to home.
I’m not much of a mechanic and I have to take her back in a couple of weeks but if anyone has any ideas I would be interested to hear what you all think.
Kind regards
Steve
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Loss of power

Post by oliver90owner »

Might be electrical.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Might well be electrical........but hard to say exactly which part. I had this once, which got progressively worse over time. It turned out to be the rotor arm breaking up. Another time the car stopped dead and I immediately suspected the rotor arm - fortunately had a spare and was off agin within a minute or two.
Worth getting some spares in as a matter of course - points, rotor, condensor and dizzy cap as a minimum, and keeping them in the car. I would use the Distributor Doctor as his stuff is top notch (and I confirm I have had no other ignition breakdown since using his gear for the last five years or so). Meantime it would be worth checking over the ignition system to ensure all connections are good and that nothing looks suspect (although you would expect the garage to have done that..........mind you, a rotor on the way out isn't always obvious).
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Thanks for that .I carry a box full of bits and bobs such as the ones you suggested .
It hasn’t happened before so I will keep and eye on it and report back for more suggestions if it happens again.
Many thanks
Steve
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

You could try using 3rd to negotiate roundabouts :o It's possible that the vacuum unit is breaking down and not able to adjust the timing for the load. It could also have been a bit of muck temporarily blocking the jet.

Is the vacuum unit connected to the carb by a push-on plastic pipe or a screw-on metal one?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

simmitc wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:24 pm It's possible that the vacuum unit is breaking down and not able to adjust the timing for the load. It could also have been a bit of muck temporarily blocking the jet.
That, too, is possible and it may be worth removing the petrol pump filter to check it is not clogged up and that it is not damaged. Have a rag under the pump to collect the inevitable small spillage of fuel.