Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

No comment

Post by les »

There is someone who has posted a question in the Cars for sale section. A person of few words it appears. :D As it stands there is a ban on responding to posts in this section. I’ve forgotten the reason why. However I can’t imagine a valid reason for this. In this particular instance there is no way to inform the poster that he/ she is in the wrong section. Further to this ban however, when a car is for sale, there’s is the lack of opportunity for a prospective buyer to ask for more details. I’m thinking there may, in the past, have been comments that have upset someone, thus the ban. However if the T&Cs are enforced, that would take care of any irregularities, leaving the abilities for acceptable responses, like the afore mentioned example of more information. Let’s not get too restricted on this forum. I suggest the locking of this section be removed.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: No comment

Post by Murrayminor »

Funnily enough I looked at the cars for sale section yesterday and noticed an advert, I was going to post a comment but saw the section locked.
I can understand PM's between a potential buyer and seller will reduce the amount of traffic on the forum but also makes people unaware of the interest generated through the advert.
I agree with your post that posts should be allowed on the Vehicles for sale section.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

It was locked for the reason that there were too many people posting comments about the price and condition of cars for sale. It was decided that people should view the cars and agree a price accordingly.
I remember some post getting into multiple pages in length.......
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Trickydicky wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:56 am It was locked for the reason that there were too many people posting comments about the price and condition of cars for sale. It was decided that people should view the cars and agree a price accordingly.
I remember some post getting into multiple pages in length.......
Its a difficult one, if a car is for sale and clearly priced too high then you feel compelled to say so in order to negate a buyer paying over the odds, or its priced too low for the market the opposite applies.
I suppose this could be done via PM but other interested parties may not be aware.

Damned if you do Damned if you don't.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

or its priced too low for the market the opposite applies.
I thought that was called a bargain and to be snapped up! :D
I think this is where the expression 'biting someones hand off' comes in......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

jagnut66 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:42 am
or its priced too low for the market the opposite applies.
I thought that was called a bargain and to be snapped up! :D
I think this is where the expression 'biting someones hand off' comes in......
Best wishes,
Mike.
But I wouldn't feel right biting someone's hand off if they were making a major mistake, if it was just cheap yes, but well under-priced no.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I respect your morality but things are usually underpriced or ‘cheap’ for an underlying reason!
However if I may go back to this thread locking business, I personally think as the T&Cs are worded as tight as a ducks, you know what, locking should be a redundant practice. Any step in a thread that goes beyond, could be dealt with within the current terms, firstly a warning, and if ignored a ban. Anything else said in a post not breaching the T&Cs would be permissible. That way people posting within the rules could continue to contribute rather than being locked out. Regarding long and maybe diversion of subject threads they inevitably run their course and die a natural death, as people get bored with it. These are my thoughts and may not be the same as the club or officials.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I don't have a strong view either way. If it's open, we can moderate, if it's not, then no problem. As others have suggsted, there were problems in the past where someone would place a perfectly reasonable advert, only for others to start criticising, and some of the comments were upsetting to the original poster, but not always in a clear breach of Ts&Cs.

If a topic is in a wrong section, then even when locked, I believe that it can be reported (I'll test that later) and then moved. If it's outrageous, then you could start a new topic to comment on it - that happens when people see adverts in other sites; and you can PM the poster. Overall I don't think that it's broken, but if anyone feels very strongly then please submit a request to Mike (Admin) so that it can be considered.
leafie

Post by leafie »

Blocking comments on cars for sale was a decision taken by the club committee.

The club received a number of complaints from people who had advertised cars for sale and who were greatly upset by some of the comments made. It got to the point where almost every advertised car came in for a barrage of comments.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Agreed but as I have said, provided those comments don’t fall short of the T&Cs why lock a thread. —— but if they do fall short, take action against the offender, not those that may contribute justifiable comment or questions.
This is a typical case of keeping the whole class in detention after school.