Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Stiff door hinges

Post by cococola »

On my Traveller the door hinges on both doors are very stiff when I open the doors,I have lubricated them several times with no joy.
I wonder if there is anything else that I can do to improve them please?
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Stiff door hinges

Post by mogbob »

Have you tried " lifting " the door ever so slightly. A decent lump of wooden batten , under the bottom of the door.Out with the hydraulic jack and " just " take the weight of the door off the hinge. Either spray or finger in grease into all the joins. Release jack and work the door back and forth. Apply more grease if necessary.
If that doesn't work... fingers crossed it does … removal of the hinges might be the next step. Hinge in the vice
out with the heat gun and with thick gloves ( the metal will be hot ! ) work it back and forth.

If things are still desperate , you can buy Standard hinge pins HNG 505 £1.50 + Vat or oversize pins HNG 510
£2.45 + vat.( ESM ) You will need to drill out the hinges to accommodate the oversize. If you can't be bothered getting the old pins out , then new hinges. If the hinges are original , then in theory they will have all deteriorated at the same rate but it might only be one hinge on both sides.

A word of caution if your " A " post is in anyway shape or form rusty , around the hinge areas , then make sure you secure the " floating " adjustment plate before removing the last of the hinge screws. Use either a bent bit of strong wire ( coat hanger ) with a hook end or a long 6" nail , whatever. There should be a metal " ledge " inside the A post , to retain the flat metal plate. If this has rusted away and you remove the last screw you will hear the clunk as it drops down internally to the sill area. At this stage , you are now in DEEP TROUBLE !!
There is no access to enable the plate to be retrieved. The A post has to be cut open. The rusted out ledge replaced with a newly fabricated ledge , welded in. It's only a short length of bent metal ( highly
sophisticated ! ). Plate put back in." A " post metal hammered back in place and welded up. Grind down , filler ,
rust treatment , primer and then body colour coats. Hours of endless fun !
Bob
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by cococola »

Sorry for the late reply Bob I will certainly try your ideas as the weather gets better. Thank you so much for your advice.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

You might find a drop of oil works better as it will penetrate futher into the hinge, follow up with some grease for the longer term.
pde2000
Minor Friendly

Post by pde2000 »

Has anybody had the doors off? It's not so easy getting the hinges lined up straight after putting the doors back on and the symptoms are a stiff door. Inside the A pillar there are a pair of plates that the hinges bolt into and these can move in 2 dimensions to adjust the hang of the door. I took one of my front doors off to try and get into it to repair a lock (had to replace the handle link mechanism as it had rusted through) and have not been able to get the door loose since.
Black 4door series2 deluxe 1954, mostly original, a bit tatty but reliable runner. purchased 1996