Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Head Scratcher

Post by CaliTrav »

Just for a bit of fun - can anyone help identify these?

Ordered as repro boot hinge replacements by my Father in law, only on arrival they're clearly too big and have too many mounting studs at the back for a Minor (2 instead of 1)

Initially thought maybe Morris Oxford MO, but they're too big from the sizing I've seen - 8.5" closed length, gaps between the studs are short side 50mm and long side 68mm.

The long edge is curved which I guess means they're handed. They're just stamped "ASHA"

Any ideas? Something with a long bonnet...
Boot hinge.JPG
Boot hinge.JPG (646.76 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: Head Scratcher

Post by Murrayminor »

A quick Google images search shows the MO has two mounting bolts on the short section.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

The MO does, but the sizing I've seen for those hinges is off - 7.5" closed as opposed 8.5" and the gaps between studs is different.

Unless the sizing I've seen is wrong.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Who were they ordered from?
A look on their website may reveal which vehicles they provide parts for.
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Found some alternative measurements for the Hindustan Ambassador (basically an Oxford after they sold the designs and tooling etc) - and they match up. So either the Ambassador had longer hinges or the other measurements I saw were wrong. Or the hinge length changed during the cars manufacture which I can't imagine.

I had no idea they were making the Ambassador until 2014 - a production run over over 50 years with very little changes! Apparently called the "King of Indian Roads" - so there you go, solved a mystery and learnt something too...
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

At first glance I couldn't work out the size because the ruler markings are small and indistinct but then I looked closer and saw that it's two feet...
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Myrtles Man wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:55 am At first glance I couldn't work out the size because the ruler markings are small and indistinct but then I looked closer and saw that it's two feet...
Boom Boom!!