Crossply to radials - What size? (1954 4 door splitscreen)

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andymoor94
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Crossply to radials - What size? (1954 4 door splitscreen)

Post by Andymoor94 »

Hello again,

So I've tried to do some research on the matter, but I'm seeing too many opinions and statements made in regards to what should and shouldn't be holding my moggy on the road!
Currently rocking 5.20-14 crossply tyres, they're well overdue changing. Now what am I best to do?

Tubes or no tubes?
What size radials should I replace them with? (Bearing in mind the overall diameter needs to match the cross ply tyres. I temporarily put the wheels from my old 1000 on the rear and they got lost inside the massive wheel arch!)

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Crossply to radials - What size? (1954 4 door splitscreen)

Post by ManyMinors »

You haven't got THAT much choice frankly. The size of radial recommended by the manufacturer was a 145/80x14. As you say though, they look a bit lost! I have that size (Bridgestones) on my Minor and it drives beautifully on them. Our other Minor is fitted with Nangkang 155/80x14 which are a little larger so fill the arches a little more and put the overall gearing back closer to what it would have been. Yes, the tyres are a little wide for the wheels but I - along with many other owners - have experienced no problems with this AND they are a little cheaper. As for tubes, I haven't had tubes for many years and again, have had no problems. You will hear stories about tyres coming off the rim because the Minor's rims aren't suitable for tubeless tyres but I have covered many many thousand of miles in my Minors in all conditions and never had any trouble at all or even heard of anybody actually experiencing a problem first hand. Only if the tyre was severely deflated and the driver was cornering hard would a tyre come off in my opinion.

So. If I were in your shoes, from what you have said I would opt for 155 section tyres and do without tubes but others might well express different opinions!
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:09 pm You haven't got THAT much choice frankly. The size of radial recommended by the manufacturer was a 145/80x14. As you say though, they look a bit lost! I have that size (Bridgestones) on my Minor and it drives beautifully on them. Our other Minor is fitted with Nangkang 155/80x14 which are a little larger so fill the arches a little more and put the overall gearing back closer to what it would have been. Yes, the tyres are a little wide for the wheels but I - along with many other owners - have experienced no problems with this AND they are a little cheaper. As for tubes, I haven't had tubes for many years and again, have had no problems. You will hear stories about tyres coming off the rim because the Minor's rims aren't suitable for tubeless tyres but I have covered many many thousand of miles in my Minors in all conditions and never had any trouble at all or even heard of anybody actually experiencing a problem first hand. Only if the tyre was severely deflated and the driver was cornering hard would a tyre come off in my opinion.

So. If I were in your shoes, from what you have said I would opt for 155 section tyres and do without tubes but others might well express different opinions!
I trust the voice of a minor legend. Thanks for the sound advice and specifics!
32PSI has been thrown around as the ideal pressure?
Eugene - My daily driver
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

155 are probably best.
The rule of thumb with tubes is if the tyre states 'Tubeless' don't fit them, they are rougher inside and will wear through the tube leading to a puncture, which will always happen in the least convenient place / moment.
I have been told there is no problem fitting tubeless to Morris Minor rims, indeed I have run them for many years without issue. What I was told is the problem are the rivets (picture below) that hold the wheels together. If they rust badly then air can seep out round them, leading to a slow puncture / flat tyre, at least that's what an experienced tyre fitter told me.
So, as long as your wheels are in reasonably good condition, you should be fine.
Best wishes,
Mike.
R for rivets.jpg
R for rivets.jpg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 1763 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Might it be prudent to seal over the rivet heads with a layer of Araldite before fitting?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I would say that 32psi is a little high. The manufacturers recommended 26psi for a radial ply tyre on a Minor (and less with crossplies) so I would start at that and add a couple of pounds if you feel it is too soft. I run mine at around 28psi but there is nothing wrong with a little experimentation.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Might it be prudent to seal over the rivet heads with a layer of Araldite before fitting
Whilst Araldite is very good for many applications (including repairing our steering wheels), by nature it sets hard and I wonder if it may crack away from the rivets in use (stress / vibration).
If I was to use anything I might be tempted to try a silicone sealant like 'Sticks Like Sh*t' and make sure it was worked in round the rivets, as well as smeared across them.
However this just me, others will have other ideas.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I tend to run mine around 30 psi, which also allows for the petrol station air line pressure indicators over reading.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

Top notch responses and information gents. Thanks a lot.

I'll experiment with 26-30 psi. The stories of tyres with low pressure flying off the rim makes me want to edge closer to 30 psi, but I'll work my way there and see what's what.

I'll inspect my rims as soon as I can get the old tyres off, but the overall impression from the visible areas are giving me confidence in their condition. But these cars are known for hiding things.

Will keep you all updated! The aim is to get them powder coated in red first, then apply whitewall paint upon application of the new tyres, so it should just about transform Eugene's appearance!

Cheers
Eugene - My daily driver
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I've just purchased and fitted some 155 x 14 Toyo's from ESM (I think they are old bull motif stock) and they look pretty good on the car - can't really get much of a test drive just now.... Just under £49 ea delivered if bought via eBay rather than their website, so pretty good value too.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I've just purchased and fitted some 155 x 14 Toyo's
I bought these regularly (as in whenever new ones were required) from Bull Motif for Abby, my old two door, you shouldn't have any problem with them, a good tyre.
Best wishes,
Mike.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

You can still get cross ply 500 / 520-14 I thing Club spares were advertising them in the latest Minor Matters. I changed from 155 to 145 last year and I think they are closer to the crossply in look and feel. Others have different perceptions and experiences. they also fit better in the boot area
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Bridgestone 145 radials - EXCELLENT! Best tyres I had on my moggie
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

Well in the end, I've ordered these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124095470394

Nankang Econex NA-1 155/80 R14 81T, as well as organising for my wheels to get powder coated, and some whitewall paint on its way. Exciting stuff!

Thanks for all the suggestions
Eugene - My daily driver
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

what colour red are you getting toffee apple red is lovely
dave
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

noidea wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:05 pm what colour red are you getting toffee apple red is lovely
dave
I don't actually know the name, but I was given a colour chart of reds from the coater and I chose number 4! Haha

Basically a hot, vibrant red
Eugene - My daily driver
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

toffee apple red is a bit like metalic red
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

some people call it candy red