Rich

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rich

Post by Johnno »

Hi all,still having problems with rough running on my ‘52 side valve.Rebuilt carb,reground all valves and all valve springs are same length.Tappets set at 17 thou timing checked.Compression roughly equal on all cylinders.Trouble with initial starting and then engine ‘hunts’.What else can I do?
Thanks,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rich

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Taking it the correct needle was fitted to the carb and correctly centred I would check the jet isn't sticking. These old H type carbs with the cork glands can sometimes cause the jet to stick down, not returning when you dispense with the choke.
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

All correct,centred and not sticking,big spark,timing checked.Now not starting at all.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Bob weight come loose in the distributor?
Cardiff, UK
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Checked that this morning Rob,all ok.
It will start instantly with a whiff of easy start but the cuts out.Does this point to carburettor? I can see nothing wrong with it though.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Might possibly be crudded up at the bottom of the float chamber where it leads up to the needle. Can you lift out the brass float? It does sound like a lack of fuel getting through. Does the piston visibly rise when it first fires?
Cardiff, UK
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Thanks for reply Rob,the carburettor is spotless in and out.Jet centred correctly and piston free.Just can’t see anything wrong anywhere.Despair time now.
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Well,here’s a thing.Thought I would try once again.Half choke,couple of tickles on the float and,,,,,,,,,,fired up and ticked over perfectly! My car is not named Maggie Mae for nothing! Apologies girls but most women/ girls are slightly temperamental.I’ll just sit back and wait for the flack.
Thanks to all who took the trouble to try and help.
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

Had similar problems with my S2 Traveller. Would tickover ok with choke out but driving up road under load it would misfire and cut out after short distance. Left for while and it restarted. Turned out , after rebuilding or replacing carb , petrol pump and ignition parts, that there was crud in the petrol tank being drawn up and blocking the pickup pipe in the tank.
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344