Authenticity of Vehicles

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PAD263
MMOC Member: Yes

Authenticity of Vehicles

Post by PAD263 »

Hello

I am interested in purchasing a vehicle and would like to know if the vehicle is genuine and has not been altered in any way from its original factory model. Can anybody suggest the best place online where it is possible to check these details about a vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: Authenticity of Vehicles

Post by Murrayminor »

Hi

A brief description of which model you are interested in may assist.
Do you want a Van, Pick-up, Traveller, 4 door, 2 door, year, engine size etc lots of varying models.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hello PAD
In my humble opinion, what you're asking is near impossible.
The Minor was in production for well over 20 years, went through 3 distinct variants with several other tweeks along the way.
A 1971 model will be very different to a 1948, and almost all early cars have received some updates, particularly trafficators/indicators.

There is no single source of knowledge of the sort/depth you're asking about, for a Minor nor any other car really.

(I see Murryminor has just posted too, and our responses are along the same lines)
Basil the 1955 series II

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Pad
Have a perusal of this...

Invalid file extension: History of the Minor.doc

Sorry,mmoc won't let me add it , if you pm me I'll send you a copy.

John ;-)

Meanwhile

http://ourclassiccars.co.uk/morris-minor-1000-history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Minor

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... ris-minor/

etc. etc.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The best online guide is probably that produced by The Potteries Morris Minor club. If you google that, it should come up.
Failing that, purchase one of the many books on the subject by respected authors - Pail Skilleter or Ray Newell have probably written the best.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:43 am The best online guide is probably that produced by The Potteries Morris Minor club. If you google that, it should come up.
Failing that, purchase one of the many books on the subject by respected authors - Pail Skilleter or Ray Newell have probably written the best.
Here's the Potteries Link, which is good for identifying key changes, but to know 'everything', you'd have to inwardly digest the entire Workshop manual to know what changes occurred when, and even then some things changed randomly as stock of parts changed over. Whose to say when a particular model of dynamo was fitted for example.
In several cases the Manual simply refers to Early or Later cars for something changing slightly.
http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identification.htm

To be honest, it depends on what you actually mean by your statement
if the vehicle is genuine and has not been altered in any way from its original factory model.
There are a few references in the Workshop Manual of things the Dealer could do to rectify any 'issues' the customer was experiencing; would you count those as breaching your requirement?
Basil the 1955 series II

PAD263

Post by PAD263 »

Thank you everyone for your comments. I have come across a Morris Minor Pickup that I would like to purchase; but would like to know if it was originally built as a genuine Pickup and not a Van that has subsequently been remodelled into a Pickup. I have been told that there is a website/group somewhere that can confirm this information, and I wondered if anyone was aware of a website where the information could be checked. Thank you.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You could check the reg number against the gov.uk website, should say if van or pickup. The van chassis number will include the letter V, the pickup will include U.

Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

I have an original pickup and the chassis no. is MAW which should make it a Traveller but I have a photocopy of the original logbook which says the same,so DVLA do make mistakes.
PAD263

Post by PAD263 »

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond, I have now obtained the information that I wanted.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Is it a genuine Pickup ?

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Some 1970s pickups fitted with van chassis plates from the factory, think the correct axle weights & the GVW was more important.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

As years go on, it becomes increasingly difficult to confirm originality/authenticity.
Over the past 50+ years generations of people have done work to these cars, some good and some not so good.
In the absence of definitive information I think the best course is to ensure that a car is sound and honest before buying.
Most buyers want a usable,well cared for,car with a nostalgic ambience.
There are a few impeccably documented cars around for those who care about authenticity 😀