Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

New member saying "Hello"

Post by blue_cortina »

"Hello"
Thanks for letting me joining the forum - looks to be a huge wealth of knowledge on here !
I've joined as my son has just bought his first car and its a 1970 Morris Minor - and it is a Panda Replica. We don't know a lot about the history of the car.
We have spent the last few weeks discovering all (well some of) its hidden problems and methodically solving them. The electrics have been assigned to me to sort out and I'm most of the way through that. I've been working on old cars for a few decades now so have some idea what I am doing but I knew nothing about Moggies so this has been and will continue to be a huge learning curve. I am so amazed what you can buy for them so different from my old Cortina!
Helping my son with his Morris Minor 1970 Panda Car Replica (both club members)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: New member saying "Hello"

Post by philthehill »

Welcome to the world of Morris Minors.
Spares are plentiful and plenty of help and advice as regards the Minor on here.
Way back I had a 1200cc Cortina, the one with the ban the bomb rear lights. It was ok but not such an easy car to work on as the Minor and whilst back then spares were plentiful I suspect these days that spares especially body panels are like rocking horse droppings.

We would be happy to see some photos of the car posted on here. Was it the one posted for sale on 'e' bay?

Again welcome

Phil

Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Hi and welcome to MMOC. As Phil said plenty of help available here and Moggie spares a plenty.
Im working away slowly on my 62 saloon. Ive had loads of information and encouragement from the members on here.
Photos always helpful to illustrate your issues and successes.
Best wishes

Richard
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Might I just say what a great choice of first car your son has made. Hopefully he gets involved with the club.

Would be good to see photos of the car :D
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly

Post by blue_cortina »

Thanks for the replies - really impressed with the car so far, some really neat design features. Yes, parts for a 'band the bomb lights' Cortina are difficult - fortunately the club is good. We are making good progress with it so far - would love to know more about its history...
Attachments
IMG_20200625_213110.jpg
IMG_20200625_213110.jpg (535.58 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
sid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sid »

nice car :)
i was 'invited'for a ride in a real Panda car back in the day :lol:
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hello and welcome from me.

I am also a recent convert to the Morris Minor club. I'd worked on old cars for a number of years and then found myself a 1955 ford 103e that I kept and worked on for 27 years.

This is an astonishing platform, with a huge amount of knowledge and experience. I can certainly recommend a look through the different threads and topics. Tons of great advice too.

The search facility on this forum is also very good, this will enable you to place a particular word or phrase in the box, and 'hey presto' up come the posted results.

All the best.👍 Jonnie.
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

I had a lot of people riding in the back of my Panda, most of them not on their own free will.
[img]jpg[/img]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hello and welcome, very nice Panda you have there.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

fullsizeoutput_a06.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_a06.jpeg (3.78 MiB) Viewed 2292 times
This is my Panda
[img]jpg[/img]
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

My understanding is the DVLA used to supply previous owner information for a small fee, but they no longer do this.

I know a chap locally who’s restoring a former Sussex Police Minor. I think he said he’d found details of former policeman that had driven his very car through a Facebook group for retired Sussex Police Officers. If your car was a genuine panda it’s worth considering a similar online search.

You could also post the VRM (reg no.) for your vehicle and ask if any forum members know of the car. Or, write to the club magazine (Minor Matters) with a photo and VRM and ask if they’d put a small feature in the magazine for you. It’ll have a wider readership than the forums as not everyone is tech savvy. No harm in doing both?

MOT history is available online from gov.uk, but only back as far as 2005 I think.

Good luck.
blue_cortina wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:31 am Thanks for the replies - really impressed with the car so far, some really neat design features. Yes, parts for a 'band the bomb lights' Cortina are difficult - fortunately the club is good. We are making good progress with it so far - would love to know more about its history...

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

burnham28 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:38 am fullsizeoutput_a06.jpegThis is my Panda
That’s a beautiful car you have there :D

burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

It's a genuine 1968 Ex Metropolitan police panda. It's the actual car that I drove brand new out of Surbiton police station in April 1968 as a serving police officer. I have a certificate of a factory record from The British Motor industry Heritage trust giving the build date as 23rd to 29th January 1968 and despatched to the Metropolitan Police on 29th January. The car was fitted with the low compression engine and the colour was Burmuda Blue and police white (what ever that was). The car holds a lot of memories for me.
[img]jpg[/img]
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Not many of us who can end up owning the office where we used to work! :D
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

I've always wondered how people fall into posession of these. Lovely cars!
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Superb, that’s brilliant having the same car you’d driven brand new in the Met. I hope you enjoy it. It looks good. As a fellow ex-officer, from more recent times, I wonder whether I’ll end up buying a wreck of an ex-police diesel Ford Focus in 30 years time as a project. I suspect not. I’ll still be driving a Minor. :lol:
burnham28 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am It's a genuine 1968 Ex Metropolitan police panda. It's the actual car that I drove brand new out of Surbiton police station in April 1968 as a serving police officer. I have a certificate of a factory record from The British Motor industry Heritage trust giving the build date as 23rd to 29th January 1968 and despatched to the Metropolitan Police on 29th January. The car was fitted with the low compression engine and the colour was Burmuda Blue and police white (what ever that was). The car holds a lot of memories for me.

blue_cortina
Minor Friendly

Post by blue_cortina »

burnham28 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:38 am fullsizeoutput_a06.jpegThis is my Panda
Very nice !
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

emleyj wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:18 pm Superb, that’s brilliant having the same car you’d driven brand new in the Met. I hope you enjoy it. It looks good. As a fellow ex-officer, from more recent times, I wonder whether I’ll end up buying a wreck of an ex-police diesel Ford Focus in 30 years time as a project. I suspect not. I’ll still be driving a Minor. :lol:
burnham28 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am It's a genuine 1968 Ex Metropolitan police panda. It's the actual car that I drove brand new out of Surbiton police station in April 1968 as a serving police officer. I have a certificate of a factory record from The British Motor industry Heritage trust giving the build date as 23rd to 29th January 1968 and despatched to the Metropolitan Police on 29th January. The car was fitted with the low compression engine and the colour was Burmuda Blue and police white (what ever that was). The car holds a lot of memories for me.
I retire from the force in December and I still have details of my first allocated traffic car, a 3.2 V6 Vectra, brand new out of the box with a couple of hundred miles on the clock, within 10 minutes of taking it out I was in a pursuit at 130+ mph, so much for running it in!!
I have had other decent work machinery over the years such as Subaru STI, Audi S3, Golf R, to name but a few but the first time hearing a V6 howl at 100+mph will stay with me forever.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

There’s a lot of ex-bobbys interested in, and running Minors :wink:
Saw a clip on the tv recently of some low life in a stolen Minor giving the police a problem... West Yorkshire I think?
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly

Post by blue_cortina »

emleyj wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:06 pm My understanding is the DVLA used to supply previous owner information for a small fee, but they no longer do this.

I know a chap locally who’s restoring a former Sussex Police Minor. I think he said he’d found details of former policeman that had driven his very car through a Facebook group for retired Sussex Police Officers. If your car was a genuine panda it’s worth considering a similar online search.

You could also post the VRM (reg no.) for your vehicle and ask if any forum members know of the car. Or, write to the club magazine (Minor Matters) with a photo and VRM and ask if they’d put a small feature in the magazine for you. It’ll have a wider readership than the forums as not everyone is tech savvy. No harm in doing both?

MOT history is available online from gov.uk, but only back as far as 2005 I think.

Good luck.
Thanks - yes indeed the DLVA used to be a source for previous owners - I have done that back in day - as they say.
Not a genuine - a replica - We wonder why it was done .... I does make us chuckle when we look at it.
I'll the other ideas past my son. We have been having a lot of fun working on it for sure.