Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Marina disc brake conversion question

Post by Murrayminor »

Hi all
I have literally just missed out on a marina front disc brake conversion, all for the sake of £5, which makes me mad.
I did manage to blag a front and rear telescopic damper kit along with a front anti roll bar for silly money so that goes some way to making up for missing the brakes.
Anyway having conducted a search I believe the marina kit is lighter than the ford based kit, my question is which would be the stronger set up, or are the trunnion the weak link (relatively speaking).
My minor will be used for PCT's and classic car trials so will have some more abuse than the normal road going Minor.

Regards
Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Marina disc brake conversion question

Post by philthehill »

Dermot.
Before I fitted my Marina/Grumpys disc brake kit I weighed the components and the Ford kit came out much heavier than the Marina kit so as I am very conscious of un-sprung weight I opted for the Marina kit.
The Minor trunnions are well capable of coping with the additional braking forces generated by the Marina disc brakes.
The Marina disc brakes are well tried and tested on my Minor and I have no qualms about using them to the max. I do not have a servo fitted.
What I have done is to fit Marina stub axles which are slightly larger in diameter but the original Minor stub axles stood up well under many years of hard punishment.
I have Wolseley 1500 rear brakes fitted on the rear axle.

Phil

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Phil
Thanks for the reply and information,.
From what you say I may try for the marina set up, are the Marina stub axles readily available and what machining do they require?

I will be carrying a lot of weight on the rear so the bigger drums may be the way to go as on some of the classic car trials they request a decent working handbrake as that may be the only way to slow the vehicle when having to reverse down a failed hill along with letting it roll with the engine off and in gear.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Marina stub axles can only be obtained by either removing the stub axle from a NOS Marina swivel or used Marina swivel. I have used both sources for obtaining stub axles.
The only machining required is the increase in the stub axle bore in the swivel and the recess for the circlip in the rear face of the swivel.
The external dimensions of the swivel in the area of the stub axle are the same for both Marina and Minor so there should be no worries about the swivel failing in that area.

Murrayminor - I have sent you a PM.