Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Midget 1275 gearlever

Post by Mark Wilson »

A recent thread mentioned that a Midget 1275 box needed a different gear lever than the Minor 1098. I've not been able to fully test my 1275 box, with 1098 lever, since rebuilding it, other than reverse and first in and out of the garage. It seems to select the other gears ok, but I'm now worried it's going to start jumping out of gear when driven, which will be soon.

So I'm now looking for a Midget lever. Moss show two versions, (neither available) one (22G328) with a thickened section to suit the gaiter fitted to later cars. I'd want the simpler earlier one (22G1397) if I can find one. I think PhilTheHill has said somewhere that he had to lengthen one by welding a piece in - I assume that would be this simpler version.

Can anyone confirm that the 1098 lever definitely isn't suitable, and that the earlier Midget lever is the one to find. And if anyone has one, or knows where to find one, please let me know!

Mark
don58van
Minor Addict

Re: Midget 1275 gearlever

Post by don58van »

Hi Mark

I think that the 1275 Midget and 1098 Minor gear levers can be interchanged. They are the same below the retainer plate.

For example, see this video where the expert groups the Midget and 1098 ribcase gear levers together as compatible with the ribcase.

It is also interesting that his business has a different approach to mating the 948 engine with the ribcase gearbox than I have ever seen discussed on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbUoZfRCGaE

Regards
Don
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Many years ago now I mated a rib case gearbox to a 948cc using the pressed steel rear engine plate and ended up having to take a piece out of the top of the carbon thrust center hole as the carbon thrust would overthrow and foul the first motion shaft.
I did not change the gearbox front cover but used the 1098cc front engine cover as was. It all worked well.

Unless I missed it I did not hear him state what carbon thrust he would use with that combination.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I had a 1275 Midget engine and gearbox in one of my Minors many years ago and am 99% certain that I used the 1098 Minor gearstick with no problems at all. The Midget gearstick will fit of course but is too short for comfort. The Austin A35 racers mainly use 1275 Midget gearboxes and 1098 Minor gearsticks I understand.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I believe there are two midget gear levers the early smooth case and the later ribbed case.
The later lever is interchangeable with the Morris Minor item and is slightly longer.
I will try get some measurements as I have a midget gear lever on my gearbox.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I believe there are two midget gear levers the early smooth case and the later ribbed case.
The later lever is interchangeable with the Morris Minor item and is slightly longer.
I will try get some measurements as I have a midget gear lever on my gearbox.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

This is the MG Midget gearlever from my 1275 gearbox.
The lower shaft is approx 13mm long, I think the earlier shaft was shorter.
Attachments
Gear lever measurement.
Gear lever measurement.
20200717_142134.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 1088 times
MG Midget gear lever
MG Midget gear lever
20200717_142129.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 1088 times
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Very useful, thanks all. I think the plan is to see how it drives before removing the cover and taking the stick out to measure.

Mark
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

There are 2 x 1275 gearlevers, both my spridgets (a 67 and a 68) used the earlier type. There was an interior change in 69 which is what drove the gearstick change. The gearbox was unchanged.

I also but the gearbox from one of them (can't remember which!) in a 1098 minor, and it used the minor gearstick with no rattles/jumping/any bother
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
johngrigg
Minor Friendly

Post by johngrigg »

Regards PTDs earlier post in this thread I asked mini mania which thrust bearing to use . Their reply is as follows

'You'll always use the release bearing for the clutch package you have so it would be the 948 type. You may also want to use the earlier type fork from the smooth case box in case the rib case type doesn't centre correctly'
Hope this helps .Cheers JohnG
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have to say that is as clear as mud.

Or read................ 'suck it and see'.

The 948cc and 1098cc release bearings are different, so are the release arms. Also the means of securing the release bearing to the release arm are different.
The front gearbox covers are different so modifications are required to enable the covers to fit the respective gearboxes.

Whilst the video modifications are doable it is much easier if you want to fit a 1098cc gearbox to a 948cc engine by using a 1098cc rear engine plate, 1098cc clutch assy, 1098cc release arm/bearing and a 1098cc flywheel as everything falls into place.