Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dai
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller Cab pick up chasis

Post by Dai »

Please excuse lack of knowledge.
Have been told my pick up cab is actually a traveller front appreciate they didn’t have a full chasis but am I right in saying the traveller front cab was on legs that went to monocoque at the rear end. Why I ask is the pick up I have just purchased the cab sits on the pick up chasis with a not very well fitted pick up rear end,my intention is to repair the cab and resit onto the chasis however would this require further strengthening to the floor . The doors are approximately 30 inches wide
Thank you
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller Cab pick up chasis

Post by midget »

No, trav doors are the same as 2 door and Van/pick up doors are 4 door.
John
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Traveller (and 2 door) doors are a smidgeon over 3 foot wide. The traveller body is identical to the saloon, monocoque with integral chassis legs and a central cross member, except that the upper body is different from the B post back. There is no separate cab as such.

It sounds as though you do have a genuine commercial cab.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The width of a two door saloon/traveller door is 36.25".

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Dai did post this question earlier, with photos, but nobody seemed to pick up ( :-? ) on it. See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72789&hilit=traveller+pick

Has anyone got the LCV / 4-door front door width handy?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The doors are quite different. The van doors, which are the same as a 4door saloon, are almost 6inches shorter.
It wouldn't be the first pick-up built using the cut down body from a Traveller :wink:
The pictures do appear to show a Traveller door.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

He does say it's a 30" door, so not a Traveller.
Dai
Minor Friendly

Post by Dai »

Thanks all, with sincere apologies the doors are 36 inches wide, I also include a photo showing the detail at the rear of cab point , which possibly suggests the cab has been cut through. The bulkhead is also a poor fit.
How would the cab of the vehicle been secured to the front chasis / monocoque legs
Many thanks and apologies again for measuring error.
Attachments
8243BB28-5E73-4695-BF9B-3DC0E0178267.jpeg
8243BB28-5E73-4695-BF9B-3DC0E0178267.jpeg (712.94 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Does the vehicle have a plate showing the chassis number? If it starts MAT then it used to be a Traveller, MAU a pickup and MAV a van.
Dai
Minor Friendly

Post by Dai »

simmitc wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:54 pm Does the vehicle have a plate showing the chassis number? If it starts MAT then it used to be a Traveller, MAU a pickup and MAV a van.
Hi Simmitc has chasis so that part defo van or pick up, The issue is the cab which given the door width at 36 inches seems to suggest a traveller which l am happy to work with (preference was a proper cab but my error)
I have a new chasis to start my project but wonder how best to fix the cab which was originally fixed with 4 self tapping bolts !
I assume any repair panels l order would need to be traveller for the cab part and pick up for the chasis related stuff ?
Thanks for all the input.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

If the doors are 36" it probably would have started life as a Traveller, in which case the floor pan would have been a single pressing spanning between the sill structures. The structural legs are not a chassis as such, they are open topped rectangles in section with top flanges spot welded to the floor pan. These span from the front of the car to the centre crossmember, just to the front of the B posts. Your "cab" appears to have had the sill structure cut through where it would have joined the rear seat box.

I've no experience of commercials, but it looks as though you've taken on quite a challenge!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The photo above clearly shows a Traveller "B" post as opposed to the van/4door one. If a Traveller cab is used than I imagine the Traveller chassis legs were removed from the floor pan by drilling out the spot welds?
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

The only way to fit the longer doors/cab section to an LCV is to lengthen the LCV chassis by 7" (IIRC), in the correct place.
This has been done a number of times, and something that I looked very deeply into when restoring my Van.
I bitterly regret not carrying this out at the time. "Unseen Projects"in Dorset is the source of ready made new chassis for this build.
John
Dai
Minor Friendly

Post by Dai »

I think that is a likely possibility Many Minors so by reason of it now sitting on the pu
Chassis legs it still has the same support from a design point just needs a suitable method of fixing down.

Midget I assume traveller and pu were all the same at the front end so would I be right in saying that the traveller cab will extend slightly further down the chassis
without issue as my intention is to custom build a pick up bed for the back which could extend a little further over the back say 4 or 5 inches as more decorative than load bearing capabilities or do you feel I’ve over looked something.
When I bought this vehicle it was drivable in its hybrid state but without any rear bed.
Thanks in advance
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Location of the rear of the cab is the problem, but yes I guess it would be possible to knock up a "custom" flat bed rear, but not sure about extending the rear overhang? You may run into problems with registration/legality problems later?
I went into some detail when contemplating this, and decided that it was not worth the major amount of work required to end up with a worthless mongrel? The only way to do it properly is the stretched Chassis route, which will also require longer prop shaft etc, and a lot of work.
However,it is the only way that if (like me, you are 6ft tall and over 70) it is the only way that it is possible to have a comfortable LCV.
Good luck.
John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I don’t understand the lower rear cross panel being fitted so high, this should be at cab floor level but presumably this is because the rear cab piece ends there, leaving a substantial gap at the bottom. To be quite frank it’s going to be a real headache to made it look right, you’d be much better keeping to your original idea of getting a proper lcv cab, and if you did sell in the future the value would be far greater.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

How much effect on the legality of the vehicle does a new chassis/new cab have?
Does it then become a new vehicle with all the requirements for approval/testing?

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Further to the above, did the vehicle come with the log sheet V5, if so, what is stated as the title of the vehicle?

Dai
Minor Friendly

Post by Dai »

Lots of questions to answer...... hopefully the pick up won’t be a worthless mongrel when finished and I will do something better than a knocked up flatbed.
The vehicle has a V5 and is down as a pick up . I am fully prepared to get whatever final inspection is necessary on the completed project to be legal and above all safe. The lower gap at the bulkhead is not to problematic and we have come up with some pleasing mock up shapes . I fully appreciate this won’t be a pure finished project however it will be carried out to a good standard and luckily l have a reasonable budget and all being well lots of time and enthusiasm.
Positive pointers gratefully received.
Cheers
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I think that it's a good project with exciting possibilities, and will be warmly welcomed by the Custom and Modified Register, and quite possibly the LCV group as well. There are clear benefits in having a larger cab. I think that the comments so far were aimed at warning you of the potential pitfalls; but you seem to be well clued up on what is going to be involved; so I look forward to seeing progress reports and the finished result.