By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Garage Floor paint

Post by ampwhu »

GavinL wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 am
ndevans wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:55 pm
GavinL wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 pm I used this paint https://www.toolstation.com/leyland-tra ... -5l/p64607 after vacuuming the floor carefully to remove the dust. Gave it two coats. Did the job, no more dust, easy to wipe up the inevitable oil leaks , and appears hard wearing ( been down 6 year ).
I was looking at that earlier. Did you use a dilute solution as a sealing layer first?
No I just brushed and vacuumed the floor to get it dust free. I put the paint on with a roller, it goes off quite quickly so be prepared and work quickly, don't expect to be able to clean the roller or tray! I think I managed about half a tin of paint per roller before the paint on the roller became so tacky I couldn't use it any more
same here. did it last summer and got 2 coats out of a tin. Floor looks great now. i chose slate grey.
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ndevans »

Took a lot of prep, and the neighbours were a bit surprised to see me vacuuming the garage floor, but I've made a start. Only did about half what I wanted to do, but still, I'm pleased with what I've done.
IMG_20201115_201042028~2.jpg
IMG_20201115_201042028~2.jpg (742.29 KiB) Viewed 832 times
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I assume you have a side door, unless you're still trapped in the corner. :-? .. :lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I like the idea of the pipe lagging at the bottom of the door.

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

geoberni wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:58 am I assume you have a side door, unless you're still trapped in the corner. :-? .. :lol: :lol:
:D
Yes, the door is behind me.
I thought I'd start at the far end and work backwards, because I then still have access to the stuff at the near end. Once I've done that half, I'll move the stuff to the other end, sweep & vacuum the floor, & paint the near half. Also, the temperature of the floor is likely to be slightly warmer nearer the house, and the fan heater is plugged in at that end, so I can add a little artificial heat.
cheers N

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

KeithL wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:01 am I like the idea of the pipe lagging at the bottom of the door.
It doesn't make a massive difference, but does cut the draughts down. There's still plenty of ventilation around the sides of the door though.
cheers N

Stoneporch
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Stoneporch »

I have been painting my garage floor piecemeal, as and when space has become available. I am using Floor Master paint and have prepared the concrete surface with Multipurpose PVA concrete sealer, diluted with water as per instructions on the container . When I temporarily ran out of PVA I used Stabilising Solution. Both of these products worked well, leaving a dust free surface which took the paint very well. I started this process about a year ago and the older surfaces are standing up well to normal garage/workshop use.I am very pleased with the results, which are turning (in my wife's words) a dump-it site into a dump-it site with a red floor!
Hope this is helpful.
Richard.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Progress so far. I have used Leyland garage floor paint, 1st coat about 25% dilute with white spirit, then two coats undiluted. I started with a brush, but rapidly moved to a roller-much easier. All the main garage surface is now done, except the ⅓ nearest the camera, which needs another coat. That has taken a week of on and off painting, the most time consuming bit being the moving stuff, clearing, sweeping and vacuuming the floor to prepare. The rest I can do when the car is back from welding.
I'm pleased.
IMG_20201122_135619006~2.jpg
IMG_20201122_135619006~2.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 735 times
cheers N