Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
brian
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Headlight flasher

Post by brian »

Hi its me again,my 62 Moggy has no Headlight flasher,can someone please advise on the best way to do this ,many thanks ,Brian

kittyfell
Minor Fan

Re: Headlight flasher

Post by kittyfell »

Swap the connections about on the light switch so that first operation brings on the headlights, and then just leave them in high beam. Easy then to flash the lights, if you really must........

billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Fit something thing like this

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/long-toggle- ... 1411-p.asp

Wire it up via a piggy-back wire from the incoming live to the light switch which then goes through your new switch and back to the headlamp (out) switch. This will allow you lights to flash on whichever beam you have the dipswitch set on. Obviously at night just use the dipswitch.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Or.... if you want to keep the car original just turn the lights on and off quickly using the headlight switch on the dash! :D No re-wiring required. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
kittyfell
Minor Fan

Post by kittyfell »

Which is what I suggested above - except if you don't swap the connections about, you have to go through the sidelights then headlights phases, which looks pathetic to the receiver of the 'flash'...... :roll:

billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Wireing it up as above to give headlights first does not give you the option to have sidelights only. What you get is headlights in the first position and then in the second position headlights and sidelights together.
Whilst I dont generally drive with sidelights only I do use them sometimes when I'm parked for a few minutes and would certainly want the option of having them on without headlights.

Great idea? maybe not :-?
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

20 years of moving the switch quickly has worked fine for me
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Could somebody explain to this colonial why you would want the headlights to flash? Is this for am emergency awareness thing, or something like that?
TIA
Talk slow, think fast!
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Modern cars have the ability to flash their headlights mostly used as a method of communicating with other road users. I personally use the method described by Charlie and Lou via the standard wired light switch without modification and I have never found it to be pathetic. But should you feel it necessary then the simple installation of an additional spring loaded switch solves the problem. Alternatively, but more expensively, quite a few Minors appear to have been converted to use an indicator switch from a more modern car incorporating a headlamp flasher and dipswich. I guess its what you fancy that matters.
Maybe its just that we are indeed 'seperated by a common language' Katy as I'm sure modern Canadian cars have the same function.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

There are two common scenarios for headlamp flashing in the UK, most applicable to Minor drivers is to show another driver you will let them out of a side turning or through a narrow gap.

Much less applicable is zooming up behind you doing 90 mph flashing headlamps because you own the road and everyone should get out of your way :evil:

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I can assure you Bill - my switch gives head + side in first position, and side only in second position. There are all manner of variations on the theme with that switch!
ImageImage
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Just had a close look at mine Roy, possibly not original though I have no way of knowing, it has only 3 terminals - Position 1 is the incoming live open circuit to the other 2 - Position 2 gives a closed circuit between 1 and 2 and open circuit between 1 and 3 and in the 3rd position it gives a closed circuit between 1and 2 and 3
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Owlsman »

I know this is an old thread but it didn't seem worthwhile opening up a new one on the same subject.

Whilst it's far from essential I know, but there have been several occasions whereby I have reached for my headlight flasher.......only to remember that my Moggy doesn't have one. :oops:

I am wondering if anyone has fitted one of these, or something similar.
https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/ind ... ductId=732
I'm a bit skeptical about the suggested 30 minute fitting time. Even for an auto-electrician that sounds a bit of a stretch, so for someone like me, who is a tad nervous about electrics, it looks totally out of the question. Of course, I'm not bothered about the fitting time (there's precious little else to do nowadays :D) - I'm more concerned whether I can do it at all........without setting fire to the car.

Does anyone have any ideas how easy (or otherwise) this kit would be to fit?

Thanks a lot.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Way back I fitted a classic Mini multi function steering column switch to my Minor which activated the turn indicators, the headlight main beam & dip and headlight flasher. It worked very well.

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Looks simple enough to me , just 4 wires...an earth ( anywhere ) , a live connection ( ignition? ) , one to main beam and one to dip beam , all easily accesible under the dash...

Maybe it's because I like electrics?

John ;-)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I wouldn't fit that kit. A relay is unnecessary and the Scotchlok connectors are to be avoided. The easiest method avoiding altering existing wiring is to run a feed from terminal A2 or A4 of the fusebox depending on if you want them permanently live or not to a suitably rated (10 Amps) sprung on/off switch, then the other wire from the switch to the multi-bullet connector on the inner wing with Blue-White wires in it. You will have to fit a bullet connector to the wire end. Wire should be 14/0.30 gauge preferably Blue feed to the switch then Blue with a White tracer from the switch to lamps. I have done this in my Morris and big Humber.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Thanks very much for your replies, gentlemen. I wish I shared your enthusiasm (and knowledge) for electrics, John. :D Apologies for a bit of a tardy response but been embroiled in a few other things lately. I understand in principle what I need to do but I’m struggling with the actual practicality of connecting up.

The permanently live or ignition only feed to a suitably mounted spring-loaded switch is easy enough but it’s from the switch to the h/light wiring I’m struggling with. I have found the bullet connectors in the inner wheel arches but the o/side one has all 4 terminals ‘occupied’. 2 smaller blue/white wires go in at one end (I think from the lights) then exit via 2 other b/w wires – one of which is much much thicker than the other - and these then disappear into the loom. Please see photo.

The double bullet connector on the n/side just has 1 b/w wire in (from the h/light) and similar b/w wire out (presumably across to connect up with the bullet on the o/side i.e. to 'link' the lights together). Please see photo.

I’ve studied the wiring diagram in the manual and established that the b/w wires are the ones I need to pipe into as these are for main beam.

So where exactly do I connect up my new b/w wire from the switch (neither of which I've bought yet)? The terminals on the o/side are full, so can I use the ‘spare’ outgoing bullet connector on the n/side?

Sorry for being such a numpty but I obviously want everything to be wired up safely and properly. Ideally, but by no means essential, I would like everything to be fairly easily reversed as well…….if ever a future owner is a 100% stickler for originality.

As ever, a collective thanks in advance to you all.

Alan
Attachments
Near side wiring.jpg
Near side wiring.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 2512 times
off side wiring.jpg
off side wiring.jpg (4.48 MiB) Viewed 2512 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well irrespective of the year of your car, I believe this aspect to be the same.
Unfortunately, JOWETTJAVELIN has not quite explained the situation sufficiently for a complete electrical novice.

The Drivers side 4way Snap Connector (as the manual calls them) has 4 connections, the feed from the Dip Sw and 3 outputs, comprising the warning light on the dash and the RH/LH lamps.
The other Snap Connector on the passenger wing 'should' be a 2way, not a 4way, but on your photo looks indeed as though it is a 4way.
In which case that's where you could connect to.
But that's a long way around the engine bay. There are other options....

My Series 2 has the Dip switch connections outside the car body, but I think latter cars had the wiring inside the passenger compartment.
You might find it easier to connect to the Blue/White at the Dip Sw.

Or, at the 4way Snap Connector, you could locate the cable which is the one for the Dash warning lamp, remove the bullet connector and fit a single bullet to the combined Flash cable and warning light cables connected together.

The choice is yours.
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Actually, Owlsman has understood my post perfectly. Just use one of these (link below) in place of the existing 'full up' connector, it's what I did. I'd forgotten every space in it was occupied. Yes, you could run it to the vacant hole in the nearside connector, it doesn't make a difference to functionality, but personally I chose the offside position because it follows the main wiring loom.

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical ... ommon.html

Also buy your wiring etc from them.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well if he'd understood perfectly, he wouldn't have come back with another question.
Nice of you to come back with the missing information.
But thanks for the link to the connector, I wasn't aware they existed.

I would dispute their description of it being 3Way, unless it's closed off at the other end.
If you're connecting 6 cables via a common point it's 6Way not 3Way.

I agree Auto Sparks are good value and quality for their cable.
Basil the 1955 series II