Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tommy23
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Help! Convertible Bj.1955 Rear leaf Spring 5 or 7

Post by Tommy23 »

Hello together. At the risk of being ridiculed, I would like to ask you the following question.

On my Convertible, built in 1955, some bushes of the rear leaf spring are torn out and need to be replaced. I am thinking of replacing all the bushes with PU bushes. I would buy a complete kit with leaf springs from ESM. There is a 5 leaf set here for Convertible. However, there is no indication of the year of manufacture. On my Morris, 7 blades are currently installed. As far as I have researched, 5 blades were installed on this year of construction. https://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear- ... es-p831328
But I am not sure. I also think that PU bushings are somewhat harder. Is it not better for me to install new 5 blades?
I would be very grateful for any answers that could clarify things for me.
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Help! Convertible Bj.1955 Rear leaf Spring 5 or 7

Post by CaliTrav »

Having asked my share of what others might have thought were daft questions, you'll get no ridicule from me!

I think convertibles had 7 leaves as standard - if you measure the individual leaves and they come out as 7/32" thick (5.5mm is as near as dammit) then they're probably right. If they're 1/4" thick (6.3mm) then someone has fitted the thicker Traveller springs.

As to whether you can fit 5 leaves rather than 7, yes you can but it depends on what you want the change to achieve. As I understand it, less leaves will soften the ride but your handling will suffer, so you may want to keep the 7. Also depends on how fast you want to drive and how much weight you carry etc. Some members have modified their set ups to have 6 leaves to get the best of both worlds.

There are a few threads on this -

viewtopic.php?t=63266
viewtopic.php?t=43902
Tommy23
Minor Friendly

Post by Tommy23 »

Thank you very much for your answer. If I understood correctly, the early convertibles (like mine) were equipped with 7 blades, which were softer than the later 7 blades. Since I am more of a leisurely driver and only drive with a maximum of 2 people, would you advise me to go for 5 blades in conjunction with PUI bushings?
Tommy23
Minor Friendly

Post by Tommy23 »

I have asked ESM for the leaf thickness of the 5 and 7 leaf springs. The thickness of both is 1/4''. Since the original 7 leaf springs only had a thickness of 7/32'' (like mine), I will install the 5 leaf springs, especially since it will be a bit tighter with new PU bushings.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Why replace the leaf springs if it is only the bushes which are shot?