Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Advice for first Moggie purchase

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Thank you chaps. I must admit that I am worrying a lot about just how much work might need doing on this particular car. I do think this dealer is genuine, however whether he's prepared to do all the work that's needed for an MOT, I'm not sure yet.

I also take the point about buying privately. The two individual sellers I've spoken to have been lovely and unfortunately one of the nicest cars was an 803 split screen; just too slow for driving around Milton Keynes, where I live.

Anyway, thank you for backing up some of my own thoughts, I will have a rethink and consider asking whether I can back out of the purchase as I've paid a deposit, but I think it would be okay.

Watch this space...
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

It's not just the Mot, With sill sections the outside and under sills can look reasonable and pass, but they are reinforced with an inner sill section,which Can't be seen with out removing the sill cover. I have always advised any prospective buyer to ask for the covers to be removed for inspection,Its only a few screws . If the covers have been welded on,simply walk away.Its not a death sentence,but its not an easy repair.
Its one of the reasons that most on here take photos of sill repair ,as a back up to show if selling on.
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Thanks, yes, I understood your original point. I spoke to the dealer today and they're going to unscrew the covers (they aren't welded on) and send me the photos. However, he said that whatever needs doing they're happy to do as "we've got to get the work done anyway". Of course, we'll have to see just how much work that is!

Overbrook Automotive - I really do think they're a genuine seller.
Philip

Just gradually working things out...