Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Moggy traveller seat blocks

Post by Dotty traveller »

Hi everyone my first time posting, I own doris the morris a 1966 traveller, she has rubber seat blocks on drivers seat which are great until they turn over and lower the seat while driving, scary 😨, does anyone have better ways of lifting the seat.i want to keep them original, thanks in anticipation.
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Moggy traveller seat blocks

Post by Owlsman »

I can't say that I've noticed my blocks moving whilst actually on the move.....but I supposed they must have done, as quite often when I used to get back in the car I noticed that the seat had tipped back slightly again. I say 'used to' as I have now bound some black electrical tape around the seat base where I want the blocks to fit and basically, just made them a tighter fit onto the frame. They now do as they are told and remain in place!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Superglue? Long screw through the block into the frame? In the old days, we used to use a piece of wood on the floor to achieve the same purpose. It didn't look as neat, but it never moved around whilst driving.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

What is the condition of the rubber straps and the foam cushion? You may not need the blocks if the seat is refurbished.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

jaekl wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:57 am What is the condition of the rubber straps and the foam cushion? You may not need the blocks if the seat is refurbished.
I quite agree. Many Minor seats are in a shocking state. It isn't that difficult to strip the seat down and replace the cushion and the straps. I've done mine recently and it makes a huge difference. A block of wood as Simon talks about above can be a good idea if it is needed and it can be cut to size and placed under the carpet to improve the appearance.
Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

Some good tips there thanks 😊, I've thought of the wood idea might just have go.also car is sprayed in cellulose best ways to cut polish please.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I use G3 compound if the paint is dull then a good polish (I use Poor Boys) To finish I can thoroughly recommend Harly Wax pure carnauba wax. Goes on like melted butted and polished off beautifully :tu1:
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Here’s a +1 for using wood to raise the seat height. I bought my Moggy in April and refurbished the driver’s seat as my first job. But the rubber blocks drove me nuts! Turned over literally every time I drove the car. Two tips:

1. Use either 1 long piece of 25mm thick wood or, as I’ve done, cut two bits and secure to the seat rails with appropriate metal brackets.

2. Don’t refurb the seat with the rubber diaphragm. I read that the 7 straps give a firmer seat and that was correct. I cut corners because the straps weren’t in stock at the time. Don’t do that.
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

Thanks for the tips 😀
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Being new to the Traveller world, I don't know what seat blocks are.

Could someone explain the purpose, the location, or post a photo?

Thanks.
Tom M.
1957 Traveller
Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

If you put in ebay morris minor seat blocks they will come up I think they are really just anti roll bar rubbers lol.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

They simply clip to the rear bottom of the seat frame "legs" to lift the seat rear slightly further off the floor. They were not factory fitted, and usually added to compensate for a worn seat base.
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Thanks Simmitc. I wonder if hard rubber might be a better "seat raiser" material than wood.

(Still dont' know why I receive no notification emails. The notifications show in the upper right of each page, but no emails arrive. I used to get them, but they stopped about a month ago, despite my having ticked all the blocks in the Edit Notification Preferences option. I used the Contact Us link to leave a message, hoping this will get things back in order.)

Tom M.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Tom, a lump of hard rubber might indeed be better than a lump of wood, but "back in the day" wood was cheap and readily available, blocks of rubber would have been much more difficult and expensive to obtain. Moreover, most owners would have had tools for DIY that allowed them to machine wood as required, and rubber working tools would be far less common.

As regards notifications, we did have a problem with those, but it should now be fixed. PM me if you are still having problems.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373474712577 ... R_jUyJriYA
The blocks give the option of three additional seat heights.

Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

Door mirrors

Hi everyone I'm thinking of fitting door mirrors to doris for better rear vision. What are your thoughts on this
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

A good move.
I had them on my Ser2 and they helped remove blind spots.
They just clipped onto the quarter light frame. Easy to fit and easy to remove.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/misce ... ix-p831224
What about the seat blocks? Any further thoughts or progress?

Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly

I'm putting the wooden blocks on using the front seat clamps so all good ,and I'll fit door mirrors other than that the car is totally original and staying that way